Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the difference between these two linkage parts in a C4 transmission? My transmission is automatic and has the "smooth" style linkage gear. What's the difference between the "smooth" and "notched" one?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,997 Posts
The notched selector lever will give you a positive detented feel when you move between each gear when holding the button in the handle. I've honestly never seen the smooth type, might have been a very early version in the C-4 that they figured out was a bad idea and revised.

·
Registered
379 Posts
C4 Transmissions built between '64 to '69 had a ball & spring for the manual valve detent built into the valve body. After '69 the design of the valve body & also the manual valve was changed. The '70 & up manual valve is a spool valve design & uses the lever in your second photo with the "rooster comb" design. The detent is a spring loaded roller bolted to the case with the roller acting on the rooster comb.
Here is a picture.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
C4 Transmissions built between '64 to '69 had a ball & spring for the manual valve detent built into the valve body. After '69 the design of the valve body & also the manual valve was changed. The '70 & up manual valve is a spool valve design & uses the lever in your second photo with the "rooster comb" design. The detent is a spring loaded roller bolted to the case with the roller acting on the rooster comb.
Here is a picture.

Mine doesn't have the ball and spring (see photo here).

Attachments

·
Registered
379 Posts
Your photo shows the valve body with the filter removed. The valves are encased in the top half of the valve body & are not visible unless the VB is removed.
You have however a valve body from '70 up distinguishable from the hole on the left hand side under the filter for a spring & poppet valve. This is the torque converter drain back valve & will drop out when the filter is removed. The drain back valve has a different location in VBs from '64 - '69.
The 2 photos below show the change in manual valve design after '69.
The first photo shows the early manual valve with the detent reliefs machined into the valve.
The 2nd photo shows the spool type manual valve used on '70 & up transmissions which is why an external roller detent together with the rooster come style shifter segment was used.

Hope it helps. Cheers. Gaz

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your photo shows the valve body with the filter removed. The valves are encased in the top half of the valve body & are not visible unless the VB is removed.
You have however a valve body from '70 up distinguishable from the hole on the left hand side under the filter for a spring & poppet valve. This is the torque converter drain back valve & will drop out when the filter is removed. The drain back valve has a different location in VBs from '64 - '69.
The 2 photos below show the change in manual valve design after '69.
The first photo shows the early manual valve with the detent reliefs machined into the valve.
The 2nd photo shows the spool type manual valve used on '70 & up transmissions which is why an external roller detent together with the rooster come style shifter segment was used.

Hope it helps. Cheers. Gaz

This is helpful information.

Although I will mention, no valve fell out when I removed the filter...

·
Administrator
19,327 Posts
no valve fell out when I removed the filter...
Though it functions as a valve the actual hardware is a small spring and a ball rather larger than a BB. Back you could ask folks on the internet what those objects were that sprang out of nowhere when you removed the filter a lot of them got thrown away because people quite frankly either couldn't figure where they came from or they sprang out of sight somewhere.
In the long term leaving them out will make worse any small leaks that only show up after the car has been sitting for days. Making sure the parts are present may prevent such leaks, that's what they are for, to keep fluid from draining back out of the torque converter and thus overfilling the transmission case. Most automatic transmissions have some sort of design feature to accomplish the same thing as they are all prone to it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Gypsy is right on the money. A previous owner most likely did an oil & filter change & the TC control valve dropped out unnoticed or was lost. The 2 links you posted are both reverse pattern manual valve bodies. If you fit one of these your transmission will not shift automatically. The reverse pattern means instead of the usual PRND21 shift pattern the VB is reprogrammed to PRN123 & you have to shift gears manually which is IMHO ok for the 1/4 mile but a pain on the street. Plus the fact that manual VB are notorious for harsh shifts that will rattle your teeth because the govenor & vacuum modulator have no function. You can get a used or reconditioned VB from these guys. www.mmerlinn.com Just give them the ID on the small metal tag on the VB or at least the year of the transmission.

·
Registered
379 Posts
My Bad! Your VB looks like a pre 1970 VB. I mistook the hole under the filter for the TC control valve hole. The hole under the filter is for oil supply into the pump. Sorry for any confusion caused.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My Bad! Your VB looks like a pre 1970 VB. I mistook the hole under the filter for the TC control valve hole. The hole under the filter is for oil supply into the pump. Sorry for any confusion caused.

So then where does the TC control valve go in this VB?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts