Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a intermittent problem with my 66 289 C4. Sometimes the transmission will not engage in drive when moving the shifter from reverse or neutral. This usually happens when the car has been backed out and is on a slight downhill slope. But, this is most likely a pure coincidence as this is how the car naturally ends up after backing out of my driveway. The problem usually resolves itself by several attempts shifting or backing the car into a slightly different position/inclination.

The fluid level is fine and normal shifting in drive is fine.

Anyone have any similar experiences?

Roger

·
Registered
440 Posts
Roger, did you drop the oil pan & check if the filter is blocked? This will cause an intermittent drive/no drive condition. You probably already know to check the fluid level with the transmission at operating temperature, engine Idling, transmission in Park & the car on a level surface. Also check the color of the fluid, it should be bright red & not smell burnt. If it is brownish & smells burnt then the problem is somewhat bigger.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Transmission fluid and filter was changed in the summer. Filter clean and color of fluid as new.

·
Registered
37,647 Posts
Did this start AFTER last summer's fluid/filter change? Perhaps a hole was "missed" on the filter to valve body gasket and you have a small "air leak"? Was the filter the correct depth one...IIRC there are at least two different ones.... for the pan and sitting at the bottom?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did this start AFTER last summer's fluid/filter change? Perhaps a hole was "missed" on the filter to valve body gasket and you have a small "air leak"? Was the filter the correct depth one...IIRC there are at least two different ones.... for the pan and sitting at the bottom?
I purchased the car in August. The previous owner had the fluid and filter changed by a shop specializing in vintage American cars, so I doubt they got it wrong. It started happening to me after about a month. I'm going to pull the pan of anyway when I take the car out of winter storage to install a cast pan to eliminate the leaks around the gasket. Will have a look at the filter then.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
If your car sits in the garage for a day or so between starts, you might be getting a torque converter draining back into the case. Try moving the shifter through the gears before you move out of the garage. If the transmission has some miles on it, this is a frequent issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If your car sits in the garage for a day or so between starts, you might be getting a torque converter draining back into the case. Try moving the shifter through the gears before you move out of the garage. If the transmission has some miles on it, this is a frequent issue.
I'll try this, but I believe it have happened several times in the same day.

Roger

1 - 7 of 7 Posts