Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, decided to quit dredding it, and just get down to business with the C4 problems. I've decided I really hate transmission fluid after soaking about a quart up with my clothes, and the eyes seem to be a really popular place for the fluid to work its way into. Anyway, I pulled the valve body and then compared the 2-3 backout vavle to the one on my early valve body. The spring in the new valve body I got seemed to be a little worn and corroded (I noted this earlier, but the new shift kit does not replace that particular spring). I decided to take the spring out of the old valve body and use it in the new one since it was in much better condition, as it was replaced with the first shift kit. The vavle itself on the new vavle body seemed to have one way it liked to work a little better, although it is symmetrical. I piled the trans lube on and put it back together. Then I adjusted the bands to 1.5 turns off on the intermediate and 3 turns off on the reverse per suggestion by camachinist. The reverse band was definitely over tightened as I proded on it a little bit while the valve body was off. Went on a good long roadtest, checking fluid periodically until it was at the correct level. There has been no sudden screeching to a halt, so the culprit must have been the reverse band. The run-up on the 2-3 shift is far less prevalent, and is in fact only sporadic. I am guessing that the culprit on that is still the 2-3 backout valve, as it seems to want to stick every now and then. But for now, progress has been made, and the car is back to drivable condition.

Many thanks to camachinist for helping me on the diagnosis.

Dave

1 - 2 of 2 Posts