Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it harmful to run a C4 without a kickdown cable/lever?? I was under the impression that since the c4 was vacuum modulated, not having a kickdown lever would not hurt the tranny just prevent it from shifting down when flooring it. The shop that has my car right now told me that the transmission could fry without a kickdown, true?

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
It can cause un-necessary damage due to the load from not being able to down shift on acceleration. It is not that hard to fix.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I realize it is not hard to fix, I just was not able to find a lever for the tranny to save my life. I have the cable, I installed a B and M ratchet shifter and downshift it myself if I get on it.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
IMO it will not hurt the transmission. I found that without the kickdown it would hold the higher gear even when I wanted it to kick down. Example: flooring it at 25 mph. Wouldn't kick down into first without the kickdown.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Manually shifting will work. The kick down just makes street driving easier. I actually manually shift mine a lot on the street using the ratchet portion of the B&M Star Shifter. Gotta have fun.....

·
Registered
270 Posts
My car runs much better with the kickdown cable in place, than when it was missing.

virginiaclassicmustang.com carries the lever I think you are talking about. Is it the part thats bolted to the firewall - the gas pedal, pedal, carb. throttle rod and the cable going to the trans for kickdown all attach to? If yes, then here's the part number at Virginia Classic Mustang:

Accelerator Linkage EG-565 $57.95

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
There are a million C4's out there. You would not think that lever would be hard to locate. Tranny shops should have them available. I take it the stud is in the side of the transmission.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have tried to find a piece around me, no tranny shops have them available. It just so happened that the mustang specialty shop my car is in right now had one but even he said they are very hard to comeby. I ordered one from a mustang supplier a while ago but it never came.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts