Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this was asked a while back and I dont remember it getting a good answer but I could be wrong. Anyways, anybody know how to ID what year a C4 is out of? I am running a C4 and want to put a shift kit on it but all kits have diff part #'s from ??-69 and from 70-??. Any info anyone?

~Chris
San Antonio, Tx
66 coupe 289
70 fastback done by may/graduation...hopefully

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
There should be a tag held on by one of the servo cover bolts on the right side of the transmission... Get the code and maybe I (or someone else) can help you!

Required tools for operating a Vintage Mustang:
1. Duct Tape
2. J.B. Weld
3. B.F.H. (Big Fat Hammer)
4. VINTAGE MUSTANG FORUMS II
(Power is cheap, reliability costs money!)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tranny Is at the engine builder's shop but what about without the tag. I don't remember there being one? I could be wrong but hypothetically... would I pretty much be SOL?

~Chris
San Antonio, Tx
66 coupe 289

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Many of the cast parts had a "clock" cast into them so each shift, time, date, and year could be identified. In the center of this "clock" the year it was cast.... Usually if the part was cast after April, it was installed in a car of the following year.

Required tools for operating a Vintage Mustang:
1. Duct Tape
2. J.B. Weld
3. B.F.H. (Big Fat Hammer)
4. VINTAGE MUSTANG FORUMS II
(Power is cheap, reliability costs money!)

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Since you have the tranny out, you can count the splines in the input shaft. I don't remember the numbers, off the top of my head, but a search on either this forum or the old should give you the numbers.

In 1970, the C4 received a bigger input shaft with more "teeth" on it.

Out of curiousity ... why is the tranny at the machine shop? Do they work on trannies? If they do, they should already know what I just said and should be able to tell you. If they can't, don't let them touch the tranny *LOL*.

If you always do what you've always done,
You'll always get what you've always got

http://www.classic-mustang.net/johnpro

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In '70 they went to a 26 spline input shaft, previously they were 24 spline. I doubt you have the later, but it's entirely possible.

Your best bet would be to get a '67-'69 valve body to eliminate the original "green-dot" pattern and to install the according shift kit. Go with the TCI kit.

John

[color:blue]'68 Coupe
250/C4, 221 Argentine Head
Breakaway Converter, 9", 3.50's/T-lock</font color=blue>

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
I agree. If it's an early ("green dot") C-4, you still won't be able to control when the 2-3 shift occurs unless you switch to the later valve body. I wish I had changed valve bodies and then put in the shift kit, rather than just sticking one in my '65 C-4.

Shane

'65 289 4V Edelbrock 1405 600CFM C-4 yada yada yada

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol I see your point John. However, the tranny is at the engine shop bc he took it to a friend of his that rebuilds em and got it rebuilt for me. He didn't do it himself. Now im considering a shift kit so I need to know what year.

~Chris
San Antonio, Tx
66 coupe 289

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where are the TCI's sold? I had been looking at the trans-go kits.

~Chris
San Antonio, Tx
66 coupe 289

1 - 9 of 9 Posts