Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all

I have a 69 mach1 428cj (production date 1/6/69) whats suppost to be installed is an auto trans r servo (Cruise-O-Matic)....... does anyone have the part number off this type of trans? I have a C6 trans but it does not have the (R servo) also needs a different shifter and cast iron tailshaft housing.... i currently have a trans that has an (E servo) and not sure what clutch packs are inside, are all C6 trannys the same inside? Part number on this trans RF-C6AP-7006. Would this trans be a match for my car if i swap out a few parts mentioned above?

Any help would greatly appreciated! Thanks

·
Registered
9,311 Posts
I think I recall the R servo being a CJ deal.....
Seems like there were heavy duty clutch pack materials and maybe an
extra disc as well. (I think most drums held 4 discs and they had a
special one that used 5)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Tag # on the servo tag should be PGB-AF1. The 390 GT and 428 police C6s had a H servo, CJs had the R servo. Casting on the transmission should be a C8#. I just sold a 69 police C6 which had the H servo and cast iron tailstock. I had changed it from column shift to floor shift.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thanks for the info............... by the way! What is the difference between the two trans housings. RF-C6AP-7006 AND RF-C8AP-7006D? The highlighted part# being the trans i need.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Greetings,

This listing is not complete, but covers many of the common differences.

The C6AP casting is the first C6 casting made and fits the FE engines. It is not recommended for use and it has durability problems. The C8AP-D casting also fits the FE engines and is updated and improved and can come machined for either a 4, 5 or 6 disc low reverse clutch. Most common are the 4 and 5. 6 discs were used in the CJ. Not all C8AP-D castings are machined for Neutral Safety Switches but the bosses are there, and not all are machined to accept the CJ "R" code servo. All take the screw in modulator.

As with most Ford products of this period, you will find variations from the norm as production demands warranted.

Don

1 - 5 of 5 Posts