Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to purchase a built up 302 Elderbrock RPM Performer 4 bbl intake with 650 holley w/c-6 runs good but rear seal leaks for only a $100.00 dollars so it looks like I will be upgrading the I6 to a V8.
Here is the dumb question what is a C-6 trans, auto or manual and is it a good trans?

·
7,051 Posts
Burster...if you put C6 in your subject line you'll probably get more replies.

That being said:

A C6 is a Ford 3 speed automatic. In layman's terms, it is a beefed up C4 that was more commanly found behind big blocks and Clevlands, than 302's. The plus's on the C6 are that it is beefier than a C4 (stronger) in "factory" condition. The downside is it is both bigger and heavier. I don't know what fitment issues you will run into if you put it in your car...but I would assume there will be some. I also don't know if you can use your stock transmission crossmember or shifter linkage...but possibly someone else does.

The trick set up for a 3 speed automatic on a '65 would probably be a beefed up c4 rather than a c6. Just my opinion.

Phil

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 3 speed automatic in the car now is that a C4 or no? Was there a smaller automatic that they had for the I6? ::

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info! Sounds like I'm going to have everthing I need (engine/trans) now I just have to do the rest of the conversion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts