Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
6,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I mean...I'm a Mustang guy all the way...but damn.

Something so cool about a car where you can see the engine through the rear glass. Yeah I know that the Ford GT was there first, and the Panterra way before that....but a GT is nearly a half-million dollars and you have to "Apply" and be "Chosen" to even buy one.

This thing requires a phone call to a chevy dealer.

Base price under $60,000

I think business is about to pick up in Bowling Green.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Spotted a small caravan of them on I65 S the other day, guess they were headed back to Bowling Green. They definitely are sharp looking. I was headed the other direction and could see cars in front of me veer as the drivers did a double take.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Kinda cool, wish they could be had with a manual transmission. Can't wait to see how they do on track.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
It looks DAMN GOOD!

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Kinda cool, wish they could be had with a manual transmission. Can't wait to see how they do on track.
Really, no Manuals ?! I'll take that off my potential shopping list. ( in 5 Years, when I could afford it ) Sure looks like allot of car for the money, granted, you'll never see one sold at "base price". I guess I'll stick to Boxsters, my only want is more power.

I generally don't like 'Vette styling, like many domestic performance cars/trucks there's no subtlety; all garish vents, trim and contrived angles. But that's not too bad, I'll have to see one in person.

·
6,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The lack of a manual in virtually all new cars would be a thread for another day.

The issue really is the automatics have gotten so good that manuals make little sense except for nostalgia. It hurts to say that. I grew up rowing 4 speed and 5 speeds all day long.

For 0-60 in less than 3 seconds...it's just almost humanly impossible to shift a manual that fast. That's the "engineering" reason...and as an engineer I can see it. As a driving enthusiast it makes me sad.

The other part of this, of course, is that most drivers in the united states can't drive a stick. In my house, it's 2/5 and that is DESPITE my best efforts to teach my wife how...which failed miserably. (If you ask her....it is my fault for lack of patience. I may have to agree with that). IN any case as Harley Davidson has learned, designing all of your products for an aging demographic is no way to ensure long term viability as a profitable company. That's a long winded way of saying, "Kids these days."

Phil

·
Registered
99 Posts
Really, no Manuals ?! I'll take that off my potential shopping list. ( in 5 Years, when I could afford it ) Sure looks like allot of car for the money, granted, you'll never see one sold at "base price". I guess I'll stick to Boxsters, my only want is more power.

I generally don't like 'Vette styling, like many domestic performance cars/trucks there's no subtlety; all garish vents, trim and contrived angles. But that's not too bad, I'll have to see one in person.
I really liked the way it looked until I saw a shot of the back. Too Camaro-ish. I told my coworkers that it looks like a Camaro humped a Civic Si and this is what came out!

-Steven

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
The lack of a manual in virtually all new cars would be a thread for another day.

The issue really is the automatics have gotten so good that manuals make little sense except for nostalgia. It hurts to say that. I grew up rowing 4 speed and 5 speeds all day long.

For 0-60 in less than 3 seconds...it's just almost humanly impossible to shift a manual that fast. That's the "engineering" reason...and as an engineer I can see it. As a driving enthusiast it makes me sad.

The other part of this, of course, is that most drivers in the united states can't drive a stick. In my house, it's 2/5 and that is DESPITE my best efforts to teach my wife how...which failed miserably. (If you ask her....it is my fault for lack of patience. I may have to agree with that). IN any case as Harley Davidson has learned, designing all of your products for an aging demographic is no way to ensure long term viability as a profitable company. That's a long winded way of saying, "Kids these days."

Phil
Agreed. I just don't care if it's faster. Having an actual clutch pedal is much more engaging to drive, and that's what I buy a performance car for. If I wanted everything done for me I'd play a video game ! Nothing is more fun than a perfect heel-toe downshift, hitting the apex, and banging upshift's at redline :)

My wife had to special order her AUDI A5 6-Speed, now they don't even make one.

Just say no to flappy paddles !

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Looks like a Lotus...not a bad thing I guess, but its lost the entire character of the Vette in the redesign...the hood is just too short now.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
So sexy to me! Not sure I get one but I love the way it looks and its good to see GM stepping in the right direction. This is first iteration so i cant imagine what they do when they juice it and it gets into sub 3 second 0 to 60 range.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Interesting, I think it's the first production car I've seen with larger rotors in the rear than the front. That may be a styling thing to fit the staggered wheel sizes ? Despite the added rear weight, the fronts still do the majority of the work.

·
6,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Agreed. I just don't care if it's faster. Having an actual clutch pedal is much more engaging to drive, and that's what I buy a performance car for. If I wanted everything done for me I'd play a video game ! Nothing is more fun than a perfect heel-toe downshift, hitting the apex, and banging upshift's at redline :)

My wife had to special order her AUDI A5 6-Speed, now they don't even make one.

Just say no to flappy paddles !
I wonder if the guys who grew up on model T's lamented the loss of the hand crank and the manually controlled distributor advance. I bet some of them did. Especially the hand crank.

Phil

·
Registered
652 Posts
It's a shame the car industry has shifted towards automatics. Yes, they might be faster these days, but they're not nearly as fun.

·
Premium Member
5,617 Posts
Chevy dealerships are about to be in the pre-owned Porsche business big time. Stuttgart has feared Chevy going mid-engine for years and this thing's a laser guided missile aimed right at 'em. Just you watch. This C8 will conquest over other makes and models too, but Porsche will take the biggest hit.

It's funny in a way. Your typical Porsche buyer is older and more moneyed, a higher level of education, an executive or professional. And they see themselves as judiciously frugal in rewarding themselves too. They might afford a Ferrari (for instance) but see them as financially ostentatious. They have also in general looked askance at Corvettes, down their noses even. But this? This car is gonna cause many a current and repeat Porsche owner to stroke a check. Just you watch. :yoho:

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
^^^^Not gonna happen as you think. Porsche will just retaliate by making fewer cars and thus driving up demand! Then have the 12th limited edition of the year in 2 PTS colors that they strip down and charge more $ for:grin2:

1 - 20 of 79 Posts