Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the C8OX-9242-A aluminum intake come on? Found some info on the C9OX--but not the C8OX anywhere. It has FORD in big block letters on the top in front of the carb and underneath Buddy Bar.

·
Registered
115 Posts
That is a 351W intake manifold you have there as denoted by the 9242-A...
C80X, I believe is a date code for 1968...

·
Premium Member
10,952 Posts
its the factory aluminum one for a 351W. makes a good low rpm street intake. i bought one last year for my torino cruiser. way better the an edelbrock performer.

·
Premium Member
3,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is a 351W intake manifold you have there as denoted by the 9242-A...
C80X, I believe is a date code for 1968...
I thought it was for a 351W but don't understand the date code C8---I thought 351W's didn't come out untill 1969 (right?) so wonder why it begins with C8. Done a search on Buddy Bar intakes and found info of them being dated C9--but not C8. Kinda confussed and Looking for a good explanation about that. Thanks :shrug:

·
Registered
115 Posts
I thought it was for a 351W but don't understand the date code C8---I thought 351W's didn't come out untill 1969 (right?) so wonder why it begins with C8. Done a search on Buddy Bar intakes and found info of them being dated C9--but not C8. Kinda confussed and Looking for a good explanation about that. Thanks :shrug:
I thought the same thing, as I believe you're right about the introduction of the 351W being introduced in 1969 for Mustangs.
Were they used in other Fords, or Ford trucks in 1968 and earlier?
Maybe it was a mid-year introduction, as was the 428 for the Mustang...?

·
Premium Member
10,952 Posts
who knows why the date code starts with 8. buddy bar was a subcontractor for ford and the intakes were staring to be made in 1968 and my guess is thats why an 8. the windsor did not come out until 1969 but the 69 model year started in either august or september of 1968 and thats when the 1969 cars were showing up on dealer lots. i would give the date code of my buddy bar intake but some fool polished it ! i had to sandblast it so i could paint it ford red. it has buddy bar in cast raised letters underneath. they were available over the counter with ford and cobra cast on the top. they came on the 69-70 shelby gt350 and had shelby cast on the top. real good street intake and i like the large lowriser plenum. i got mine for $200.00 last year at the pomona swap meet. the guy had one that wasnt polished but it was in san diego. check the water passages for corrosion. the one i got looks new in the water passage area. if you want performance an edelbrock performer rpm or stealth is gonna better. my torino is a low rpm (5500 max) cheese bomb slow ride.

·
Premium Member
3,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought the same thing, as I believe you're right about the introduction of the 351W being introduced in 1969 for Mustangs.
Were they used in other Fords, or Ford trucks in 1968 and earlier?
Don't understand if it is a 351W intake (which i know it is) why it has a C8 date code. Don't believe the 351W came out in anything, trucks included, before 69 did they?

·
Premium Member
3,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
who knows why the date code starts with 8. buddy bar was a subcontractor for ford and the intakes were staring to be made in 1968 and my guess is thats why an 8. the windsor did not come out until 1969 but the 69 model year started in either august or september of 1968 and thats when the 1969 cars were showing up on dealer lots.
That's the best explanation I've heard so far.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Windsors came out in 69, Clevelands in 70.

I have read that the X as the 4th digit signifies it was either a OHO Program (over the counter) part or a Ford Total Performance part.

·
Registered
35,867 Posts
Don't understand if it is a 351W intake (which i know it is) why it has a C8 date code.
That's not a date code, it's an engineering code. The 69 models were built starting in August 68, so naturally the engineering was done in 68, and even 67.

·
Premium Member
3,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I always thought that anything that stated with a C was 60's, D was 70's, E was 80's, etc. (in the decade) And that the second # was the year it went with. Guess that don't apply on every part #. and didn't think about it being a engineering code---makes sense. Thanks 22GT, also I've been messing with mustangs for 37 years (long time like you I guess) and don't mind at all getting educated on all aspects of them more. You've helped me in the past and i also want to thank you for your help. Appreciate it. Jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts