Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled engine from 66 fastback this weekend and this is the block numbers I found. My question - exactly what is this and what from?? I believe is a 351W from from 69, but not sure. Also, has partial serial number on pad at the back of the block - 0A222199 - what does this tell? Lastly, then removed valve covers and found 289 cast in the heads, along with 66. What do you all make of this combination? Is it worth time and effort to pull apart and rebuild - did not smoke when started in the fall? Thanks for you thoughts!

·
Registered
791 Posts
I believe my 351W is a C9OE-6015-B. Are you sure it is not a 302 block. What intake did it have? Is there a 1" taller deck from the top of the water passage in the timing chain cover and the top of the block deck? If so then it would be a 351W.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
0A222199 - what does this tell? its the partical VIN from the car it came from..... Don't have my books with me to look uup what assemby plant was "A". My guess it came from a Torino or Mercury product of the same size

·
Registered
130 Posts
You have a 351W short block with 289 heads. The #'s stamped into the block are the last part of the VIN #'s of the car it came from. Ford did not stamp all blocks with the serial #'s, tipically they stamped ser #'s on blocks in special cars. I dont have all of my reference material with me to completely I.D. the casting #'s of your block, but I will reaserch this and get back to you.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. Did some searching and find 351W reference for the same #'s, but not with the ending C?? In any event, is this a mutt of an engine combination? I had planned on rebuilding and redoing the entire engine bay to concours, but now I no longer look at her as a lady! Am I wrong - what to do?

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Starting in 68 it was a federal standard to have all original engines stamped with a partical VIN (year, plant, sequential number) as well as the trans. Before that it was typically high performance engines and 4 speed transmissions. Yes I understand that used not to be the general understanding

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
a -C block is a 302 block. ALL 351 W 69/70 are -B. it is not a mutt but merely standard 69/70 302 block.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
The partical VIN's stamped into the blocks and trans included the assembly plant code (in this case A) not the engine code. Theroritacally there was no reasons to indicate the engine size when the stamping was on the engine it self.

BTW "A" was Atlanta, GA Which I think assemblied mid-to larger Fords and Mercury cars

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, it's definately an A. Well it sounds as though it is difficult to determine if a 302 or 351 with the numbers alone. I guess physically would be even more difficult to discern. Trying to bring back to original look I would guess would be achievable given this combination. Would you all go in this direction - spend a little money on what I have or do go in another direction? Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
'69 302 , I've had a few of them. No big deal , just a regular block with an extra accessory bolt hole or something like that to cause a casting number change. NOT a 351 Windsor block although some of them were cast there IIRC.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I miss the "active topic" icon . I wouldn't normally have posted to an old post like that . SORRY Same for the likes and posts notifier.
Randy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts