Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will an old school (basically a Cobra aluminum high rise) intake be choking down an aluminum headed stroker or is there a better intake for a street driven car with a T-5. with a 3.50 pumpkin?

·
Registered
798 Posts
I've got one on my aluminum headed 331. It is port matched and smoothed though. Car previously made 420hp with an edelbrock performer RPM. we swapped cams, did some port work, added this intake and headers. I'll let you know when it comes back from the dyno.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got one on my aluminum headed 331. It is port matched and smoothed though. Car previously made 420hp with an edelbrock performer RPM. we swapped cams, did some port work, added this intake and headers. I'll let you know when it comes back from the dyno.
We are also planning on a 331, aluminum heads and Holley Sniper. We will be happy with 400 hp as this will be a street car only. Setting in a 65 cpe will be all that is needed. Be sure to post what you come back with on the dyno.

·
Registered
136 Posts

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Get a Performer RPM (or a Performer RPM Air Gap). You might have hood clearance issues with the Air Gap, mine fits because I have a scoop.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Another option would be a Weiand Stealth. It has a pretty good powerband. Off idle to 6000 or 6500, can’t remember.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Looks like on a 331 with aluminum heads, a mild cam only being revved to 6000 rpms the test I posted showed about a 13 hp difference on the top end. If a wilder cam was used, if it was revved higher or on a 347 I would guess the difference would have been even higher.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like on a 331 with aluminum heads, a mild cam only being revved to 6000 rpms the test I posted showed about a 13 hp difference on the top end. If a wilder cam was used, if it was revved higher or on a 347 I would guess the difference would have been even higher.
Breaks down to about a 5% max gain using the Performer. This is a fascinating article. Thanks for providing the information.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts