Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of plates to register to my brothers 66 convt. My first question. Has anyone submitted original plates in average condition paint chips and some rust and been approved/denied. Has anyone submitted plates that were restored/repainted and been approved/ denied. I got conflicting info from DMV. One DMV tech said I need plates only and one said plates with the year sticker of car(66). One tech said this can be processed at local DMV and one said the plates and application have to be sent to Sacramento for review. Anyone who has gone down this road your experiences would be appreciated. Thanks picture of plates attached . If i clean them up do you think they will pass the serviceible question.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Those plates are fine. You definately need a '66 sticker if the year of the car is '66. You bring all that to the dmv then surrender your current plates, and wait 6 to 8 weeks. I am on week five and getting ancy

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HC did you have to send the black and yellow to SACRAMENTO for approval or did the inspect them at the local DMV and let you keep them

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
They are inspected by the agent at your local office, and they will probably take some copies of them as well. They will NOT take the actual plates from you. Definitely have a "66" sticker for them. Just be patient, and be ready to make multiple trips to the office over the whole thing. I hear they're getting better about knowing the law and the regulations now; I went in a couple of days after the law went into effect, and it took me 4 trips and from July to January to get them registered! Hopefully you'll have better luck -

·
Registered
14 Posts
The process is pretty simple here in SC. You just take a pic. of the plates send it in with the $54.00 registration fee and form and within 2 weeks they send you the sticker and registration. We don't have to put the sticker on the tag just keep it in the dash. I bought 5 matching sets of unissued plates from a guy that use to purchase all the unissued tags each year from the DMV. He has thousands dating from the 40's thru the mid 70's

Attachments

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I just did that with my '66. Original black plates were lost when car was stolen and recovered over 20 years ago.

Remove the remnants of the stickers on the left and right. Rubbing alcohol works on the adhesive. You will have to have a '66 sticker installed on the right. I would clean and even wax the plates before you take them in. They will copy the rear plate with the sticker.

It took about 89 days. They sent me a new registration, new month sticker and a current year sticker along with two aluminum tabs to go above the plate on which to install the stickers. DO NOT put the stickers on your YOM plate. The tabs are installed on the two plate mounting screws and are actually hidden by the bumper unless you lay on the pavement and look up.

Good Luck

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. I think I have all the bases covered. I will update the progress. Maybe DMV will expedite my request haha.

·
Registered
21 Posts
HC did you have to send the black and yellow to SACRAMENTO for approval or did the inspect them at the local DMV and let you keep them
No, you keep your black plates, however if the car is currently registered in CA you have to surrender your current white plates, and they give you a sticker to use while you are waiting. There is also no way to check on the progress while you are waiting :(. Trust me I tried.

The only thing i can think of is to go to the dmv's website and try to order personalized plates with the plate number you are registering. When the approval goes through, the combo will come up as not available. Mine still shows as available :(

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
When you guys say, "Make sure you have a '66 sticker," what are you talking about? The original '66 reg sticker or a reproduction sticker?

·
Registered
21 Posts
The dmv agent that helped me wrote down the serial number of the sticker (or whatever that number is) and put it on the application, so i dont know if a reproduction sticker will work or not.

Dmv requires you have a reg sticker from the year of your car on the plate, to "prove" that the plate was in use on a vehicle when your car was made.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts