Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a cable kit years ago for a T-5. It is from Modern Driveline and is designed for installation on a 65/66 Mustang. I'm working on the plans now for what I need for this conversion. I've read on this forum the amount of problems with the hydraulic system leaking after a few years but I've not read about problems with a cable system. I was hoping to install Tri-Y headers but the instructions with the cable kit discourages using headers. What results should I expect with a cable system?

·
Dimples
5,659 Posts
Lots of discussion on this over the years. I’ll just relate my experience. I’m running the same cable (Mustang Steve) that I installed over a decade ago. I love it.

That said, fitment with longtube headers can be a challenge. I have Hedman mid-lengths and it works great.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I picked up a cable kit years ago for a T-5. It is from Modern Driveline and is designed for installation on a 65/66 Mustang. I'm working on the plans now for what I need for this conversion. I've read on this forum the amount of problems with the hydraulic system leaking after a few years but I've not read about problems with a cable system. I was hoping to install Tri-Y headers but the instructions with the cable kit discourages using headers. What results should I expect with a cable system?
I put a Ron Morris cable on my 65 T5 302 setup. I tried Tri Ys, and full length headers. I couldn't keep the cable away from the headers. I ended up installing repro Hipo manifolds. No problem since.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I run Mustang Steve's cable clutch in both my cars. I a have JBA mid length headers. I have had no issues in 10 years. I've had a friend with a modern driveline cable and he was disappointed with the pedal effort needed.

·
Hi, how ya doin
2,476 Posts
I installed a hydraulic system in my 69 Coupe from Modern Driveline. The pedal feel is very smooth & easy just stepping on the clutch pedal, but my Coupe is not running yet.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I swapped from a Mustang Steve cable clutch to a Modern Driveline hydraulic this year. Effort to push the pedal is less and it feels more "refined" if that makes any sense. I never had any issues with the cable clutch, I just wanted a hydraulic setup.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
I made my own cable system. It has worked fine for 14+ years. I use long tube headers with no issues. The cable is tied to a bracket I put on the steering box and then routed through the normal space between the tubes.

·
Premium Member
7,403 Posts
Currently, I run HD "Z" bar system. I looked both the cable and the hydraulic. As noted, if interested in a cable system the question becomes what headers play nice with cabe systems? As mentioned there are a couple. I happened to have already have Tri-Y in my Mustang way before I thought of converting to a T5z. However, my '67 E-Type jag runs a hydraulic system. I've owned the car for over 50 years. Maybe once did I have a leak issue. If the fluid is tested for moisture content and changed as needed, the moisture content will never get to the point of causing rust to develop in the cylinder(s), as there are two, a "Master and the Slave". My thinking was why make it complicated? The HD 'rollerized" Z bar will take any pressures one can exert.

·
Dimples
5,659 Posts
I swapped from a Mustang Steve cable clutch to a Modern Driveline hydraulic this year. Effort to push the pedal is less and it feels more "refined" if that makes any sense. I never had any issues with the cable clutch, I just wanted a hydraulic setup.
Very interesting. That gives you a pretty unique perspective.

What clutch did you use? Did you also do the roller pedal mod and adjustable firewall mount?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I do have the Mustang Steve roller pedal support and I'm pretty sure my clutch is a 10.5" King Cobra. If by adjustable firewall mount you are referring to the cable clutch adjuster, yes.

·
Dimples
5,659 Posts
I do have the Mustang Steve roller pedal support and I'm pretty sure my clutch is a 10.5" King Cobra. If by adjustable firewall mount you are referring to the cable clutch adjuster, yes.
Thats good to know. My main reason for asking is in regard to what you said about pedal effort. I’ve got a Centerforce clutch and it’s so easy, I can’t imagine it feeling any lighter.

·
Premium Member
7,403 Posts
Thats good to know. My main reason for asking is in regard to what you said about pedal effort. I’ve got a Centerforce clutch and it’s so easy, I can’t imagine it feeling any lighter.
I can offer, when I drive the E-Type with a hydraulic system, it is sooooo smooth and light. It takes awhile to get oriented. It's so smooth, I sometimes think the cutch is slipping. OMG! That's not good in these cars.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts