Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I know the answer to this one, but I figure I would ask anyway. I know some of you have had success using Black Plates from another car that were not original to your mustang.

Here's my deal,
I just came across the original Black Plates to my 65 Mustang that I had sold to a person that took the car out of the country. So there is no worry that the car will ever see the states again. Plus I'm sure he had to re-register and re-license the car over in his country.

The plates on my 66 are the newer white plates. How difficult would it be to convince DMV to let me use the black plates on my 66 if possible at all?

I would like to restore them, but really don't want to spend money if all they are going to do, is hang on my wall.

Any loop holes or suggestion on how to go about this?

Doug

[color:red]VMF Exchange Board</font color=red>
http://members.spree.com/entertainment/whizco/owner/dwhisenant/66tl2.jpg
[color:blue]My Mustang is Camera Shy</font color=blue>/forums/images/icons/blush.gif

·
Vendor
1966 coupe and 1970 sportsroof
5,370 Posts
I had no problem registering my 66 with it's original black plates. It had always had it's black plates.

However, a good friend of mine has a fastback that he just put back on the road after it was salvaged back in the 70's. DMV won't allow him to use it's black plates...

It's worth pursuing though. I had to argue with them enough because they kept trying to tell me that the plate must be wrong as it didn't have enough digits! Just like the old VIN's, they don't understand that either!

Thanks

Shaun

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Doug,

For me, it has always been a "hit and miss" affair, meaning, i sometimes have to go to 3 or 4 different DMV offices to finally find someone sympathetic enough to help out. If you have the plates and any prior registration cards with your name on it, that is a definite plus. What you end up filling out is a "Statement of Facts" which is sent along with copies of your prior registration cards to Sacramento who usually will approve it. The big hurdle is getting someone at the local office to handle the paperwork and forward it on to Sacramento. As I said earlier (if you have the luxury of several offices in your area), try one office after another and you may find someone that will be kind enough to help. A pleasant word or two when walking up to the DMV person goes a long way - they get enough flak throughout the entire day and appreciate some pleasantry....

randy

http://www.bossman-motorsports.com/bossbanner2.gif
http://www.bossman-motorsports.com

G

·
I've heard Ca. is trying to get rid of these plates. The're trying to pass a bill where if you keep your black plates, they'll charge you up the ying-yang when you register your car. Thank God they haven't passed it yet!! I love the black plate on my car, and to me it's worth the extra cost if it comes to that!!

65 coupe 302
(rebuilding a 351W)

·
Registered
21,428 Posts
DMV's can be real fickle. I live in NJ, about 20 north of NYC. I recently sold my neighbor my old spare car, a '89 Taurus with 83,000 miles ( my 82 year old mom owned it before me ). When they tried to register it, DMV wouldn't allow them because they said the milage is too low! *LOL*, I had to get a notorized statement for my neighbor to get it registered. I wonder what's going to happen when we register my wife's 69 Grande that we bought out of state with 65,000 original miles. It was in storage by the po family.

Tom
You can do anything you want to......ONCE!
aka "my 66 coupe"

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Oh, there isn't enough room on the website hard disks for my trauma. To make a very long story only long, I tried this at one site (Oxnard).
The first answer from the counter person was that the plates I showed her were from a 63 car (that is when they started issuing them and all black plates had the 63 on what is now the 'month' side.

when I informed of this info, her 'new' answer was the plate had to have the reg sticker visible from the year of the car was made. This would mean that the plates would have been used only for the first year, and shelved. Go figure. When this person doesn't know what to do, she makes it up! She probably will get promoted. I am going to try another office, hopefully I won't get another idiot. Oh, I forgot, the plates were last registered in 1977. Therefore, her logic was that plate could only be re-instaled on a 1977 car. Black plates were long out of production in 1977! I really had to hold back from laughing! She is paid money for these answers! I know where her next job could be. She could be the replacement for the Jamaican fortune teller that is on those TV ads.

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571478&a=11942550&p=43703435.jpg

·
Registered
311 Posts
Anyone got a pic of a black plate? Now my interest is stirred.

Don
1965 Convertible, 351W, Tremec, 9", continuous "improvements"
1996 Explorer XLT - daily driver
2000 Taurus - wife's driver
2001 Giant OCR3 - my 2 wheel road warrior for getting in shape

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I don't have much faith in Oxnard's DMV. I've gone to them twice already to junk an '81 Fairmont. First they wanted a police inspection to verify VIN, now they want the previous owner to sign a release form. Couldn't they tell me all at once?

I have to admit the last time I was there to get the T-bird registered the DMV employee was great.

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

G

·
I agree with the other post, i.e. it's hit or miss with the DMV. Not only should you try different DMVs but different employees at each DMV. I believe there is a policy which allows owners of "historic" cars to get "year specific" plates. Unfortunately, I believe the cut-off for "historic" is 1963. Therefore, all of us Mustang guys are out of luck (SOL). Try to find that specific employee who will help you out, or..... have your blue plates restored black. If you don't have "blue" plates, custom order personalized "white" plates with the six numbers (3 letters, 3 digits) and have them restored to black. C'mon, do you really think some cop will know or care. There's more ways than one to skin a cat.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
The blue plates have their numbers and alpha characters reversed ie '63-'69 yellow on blacks = ABC 123 while '69-'80 ('80 something) = 123 ABC.

Cops won't stop you maybe if it's the wrong color but if they need an excuse to stop you they'll use that as one (as well as a missing front plate here in Calif).

Yeah, the black on yellows on cars between '56 and '62 are allowed but good 'ol Davis killed legistation to allow the yellow on blacks. I'll remember that in three years...

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
I've got a set of California black plates for my 69. These are the correct number series and actually still have the 1969 registration tag on them. My car, however, has the blue plates that were issued when the prior owner bought it in 1982. The black plates I have were not issued to my car. The only way the DMV will allow you to use black plates on a car that currently has a later issue is to prove that these are the original plates from that specific car. They don't have the records anymore, but they will only accept a genuine California registration slip showing your VIN and the number on the black plates you are trying to re-register. I'm thinking forgery myself as a reasonable response to a bunch of petty bureaucrats.

BTW, a bill was passed in 2000 by the legislature (unanimously) to permit us to switch back to the black and yellow plates. The governor vetoed the bill. It has been re-introduced by Assemblyman Mike Briggs in the 2001 session as AB834. All you fellow Californians should send off a post to your state senator and assemblyman asking them to support this legislation and we should all send a post of good old Gray Davis asking him not to veto this legislation again. His objections are based, IMHO, on the remote sensing program the ecologists have pushed on the state. You can't get as good a photo of a black and yellow plate as you can of a reflective white one. The DMV and the CHP had no problem with the previous bill.

The web address for Davis is www.governor.ca.gov and your local reps can be located at www.sen.ca.gov and www.assembly.ca.gov. Let em know how you feel.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by RagTop on 03/15/01 08:14 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great minds think alike!

I've already tried getting personalized plates with the old plate numbers, but California has a state regulation disallowing anyone to use the same type combination Letters/Numbers as the state does. Even if it's not in the system anymore. I figured painting the new plates black would be much easier than fighting with DMV on the origianl old plates.

O'well... Maybe I'll still restore them and just use them when I show the car at shows.

BTW, I wonder what the fine would be if I took Personalized plates and painted them black and yellow to look from the era, but with a personalized phrase. I wonder how many cops would catch it.

Doug

[color:blue]My Mustang is Camera Shy</font color=blue>/forums/images/icons/blush.gif

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
You'd probably get into more trouble for defacing the white plates than for running the illegal black ones. The real issue here it that the governor dosen't want the ecology lobby on his political ass by doing anything to undermine the remote sensing program. It is the tree huggers way of circumventing the exemption that 1973 and earlier cars enjoy from the biennial smog inspections. They want to eliminate all cars from the highways of CA built prior to 1990. The cars identified by remote sensors would be subject to the Smog Check II requirements, which our carburated beasts wouldn't have a prayer in the world of passing. They also want to force all of us to re-register our cars as "historical vehicles" and have special plates issued to them. They can decide which are "historical vehicles" and which are nasty old beaters to be scrapped for pollution credits. Neat game, huh?

G

·
I have a real simple answer to this problem and I know it works because when I was having problems with the DMV in California I did it.

If you REALLY want to have the black license on your car, go to the DMV and register the car with custom plates using the license number from the black plate. It will cost more and the DMV will send you new white plates with the same number but just use the stickers on the black plate since the numbers match.

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would like to see your new plates along with the old plates having the same numbers!

Every DMV office I have talked to has told me that I can not use the same number sequence as they do, because those numbers are reserved for regular issue plates.

But if you have some information on how to go about it, I'm all ears!!!!

Doug

1 - 17 of 17 Posts