Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I would like to take off the emission equipment primarily because it is screaming for new bearings inside and it looks much better without it in there. Is removal as simple as unbolting and removing parts and filling the holes with plugs? Will it effect how the car runs?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Should just be an unbolt situation. You may need to adjust the carb settings...maybe timing.
And dont throw away the smog parts...they may be sold to someone doing a concours restoration on a CA smog car.

Joe

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I originally posted this comment back in September of 2010:

Actually removing the '66 smog pump could be helpful to the environment. I have owned a '66 since '67. Sometime later in the '70's it was discovered that the early smog system increased NOX output. California instituted a "NOX reduction retrofit program" sometime around 1974".

There were 3-4 kits that you would be required to install to solve the problem. The simplest one cut and plugged the vacuum advance line, placed a "Do Not Drive over 55" sticker on the speedometer and included a booklet extolling the virtues of limiting your speed to 55. It supplied two rubber caps for the vacuum line, the sticker and the booklet. The kit cost $32.

I returned from Sacramento the day that Nixon resigned after successfully lobbying for the introduction of legislation to get the program canceled. It was passed.

So, I am in favor of removing the system unless absolute originality is important.

Ford used to provide a plug for the holes in the head. Unfortunately I do not have the part number. Someone else my remember it or have some on hand. The Mustang parts dealers in CA may also have some in stock. Also try Mark at Kearney-Pearson Ford in San Diego.

I forgot that someone sent me the correct P/N for the plug.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think that in having this said, a good california auto repair shop would have been a key here. In this way, you would be able to really make things work out, as well as making things work out in order to really compensate all the needs here. I hope that everything will work out well in the long run.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
onlly other thing I can think of is you may have to vent the gas cap.
some cars with the Cali ems like mine have a non vented cap.

other than that I guess you can just remove the belt or pully and leave it in tact for originalty purposses

1 - 5 of 5 Posts