Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received my dmv renewal on my '89 Mustang GT and it says I need to get it smogged. No surprise here. The problem is they want me to go to a test only station - again. That is where I was sent two years ago. I was told that they randomly select vehicles to go to test only facilities. Doesn't seem to random to me. My car has never failed a smog test, is completely stock (even has the silencer still on it), has just 21,000 miles and is only driven about 500 miles a year. What gives?

There are only a few test only stations in the town I live in and it is a pain to get in. Also the smog cost is higher at these facilities. Has anyone else received test only smog requirements two years in a row?

·
4,129 Posts
2 times in a row for my 93 Ranger. Said something about meeting the profile of a gross polluter on the registration form. Oh and I passed with flying colors both times. The SWMBO 96 AeroStar Van also got tagged for the test only station this year. Same engine combo, 4.0L and AOD, as my Ranger. Just that my Ranger now has 180k on it (tested last month) and the AeroStar is ready to hit 100k. fd

·
Registered
152 Posts
Your vehicle must have met the "High Emitter Profile". From ARB'S site.

High Emitter Profile - The majority of vehicles directed to Test-Only stations are selected by application of the High Emitter Profile (HEP), which identifies the vehicles most likely to fail their Smog Checks. The High Emitter Profile (HEP) uses data from several different sources. Some of it comes from the state Vehicle Identification Database (VID), which collects data from each Smog Check performed in California. The VID is used by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), BAR, and other government agencies. In addition, general vehicle data such as make, model-year, vehicle miles traveled, and engine size help define the HEP.

This information is used to determine which vehicles are most likely to fail their Smog Checks, especially at Gross Polluter levels--at least two times the emissions level allowed for a particular vehicle. No single factor identifies a vehicle for a Smog Check to be done at a Test-Only station. The data is weighted and vehicles selected using this computer profiling of vehicles most likely to fail their Smog Check. DCA/BAR has gradually increased the number of vehicles directed to Test-Only stations to meet the air quality improvement goals of the State Implementation Plan (SIP). The SIP is a blueprint outlining the methods California will use to meet federal air quality standards.

Two Percent Randomly Selected - As required by State law, two percent of the vehicles in the Enhanced Areas are also directed to Test-Only stations for their Smog Checks. These vehicles are selected randomly to evaluate the overall effectiveness of the Smog Check Program.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
These people must be from "the dark side." It's a conspiracy, I tell you. Doesn't anyone else see the pattern? ALL THE CARS YOU'VE TALKED ABOUT ARE FORDS!!!! ;) :p

K

·
0 Posts
Been there, done that, bought a major T-shirt.

Be forwarned. IF, if you need repairs made get the government forms for repairs exceeding $500 and have the repair shop fill it out with you and send it in BEFORE you get any work done. The state needs to approve the repairs and then will pay the first $500. This is all BEFORE you get the work done. Ask me how I know??? :(

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Yes, for my Saturn of all things. It "sniffs" so clean you could filter LA air with it and it would come out cleaner, and has since it was new. Gross polluter ? My A$$...

My theory has nothing to do with stupid Government policies - I think they determine who gets test-only by whichever of their clunker computers are running that day - For those with no life who actually read the official State Of California public news releases, you'll know what I'm talking about - This place is on it's last legs.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Okay, here's a non-Ford: My dad's '89 Toyota 4 banger pick-up. The dang thing still runs cleaner than my Fairmonts and both my '78s can pass the 2001 car standards for HC and CO ( about 50ppm too high to pass NOx - which they weren't tested for back in '78).

The Fairmont Wagon went through test only twice already. Friggin' Futura would have gone in for the second if it didn't eat it's timing chain.

Oh, and I guess I might as well kiss the rolling exemption good bye - 2008 is a long ways a way!

Dean T

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I had my '00 natural gas Crown Vic smogged last weekend.

I guess since October of last year they've been taking the readings at 15mph and 25mph instead of idle and 3500rpms. They back your rear tires over rollers to apply a load.

It seems the newer vehicles are having difficulty passing, while the older ones are not failing. Older vehicles are not very clean runners at idle, but not too bad once they're moving.

At 15mph my %CO2 is 11.5, %O2 is0.0, HC (ppm) is 7, CO (%) is 0.0, and NO (ppm) is 1.0.
At 25mph my %CO2 is 11.5, %O2 is0.0, HC (ppm) is 3, CO (%) is 0.0, and NO (ppm) is 0.0, not bad, huh!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts