Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
I’m restoring a 65 K code coupe with the original KH calipers and have a question regarding the spindle to caliper bracket mounting surfaces.
The shop manual doesn’t have any reference to gasket or sealer on those surfaces and I’m assuming they were metal to metal originally. When I disassembled there wasn’t anything there, other than some rust.
Is that the way to reassemble, metal to metal, or would a thin layer of sealant be recommended?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
If I remember correctly, I believe I used a thin smear of anti seize. kip

·
Registered
7,884 Posts
The parts weren’t originally painted and a layer of rust was expected over the entire surface. If you want it to remain looking good, then paint both parts with cast iron paint, or coat it them Boshield or other protector then assemble.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I powdercoated my spindle, caliper bracket, dust shield, brake pad retaining clips, and KH calipers. My 66 GT is more of a restomod, so I wasn't entirely concerned with authenticity, but this should prove to be far more durable for a driver. I have about 1k miles on the car since restoring, with the exception of some dust, everything still looks as good as it did on the day I assembled it.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Sports equipment Automotive tire Sports gear
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Fender Automotive lighting Gas
Automotive tire Rim Gas Circular saw Disc brake

·
Registered
7,884 Posts
I powdercoated my spindle, caliper bracket, dust shield, brake pad retaining clips, and KH calipers. My 66 GT is more of a restomod, so I wasn't entirely concerned with authenticity, but this should prove to be far more durable for a driver. I have about 1k miles on the car since restoring, with the exception of some dust, everything still looks as good as it did on the day I assembled it.

View attachment 867072 View attachment 867073 View attachment 867074
Did you do your own a powder Coating or take someplace?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Did you do your own a powder Coating or take someplace?
I disassemble, clean, and media blast all my parts, so I do all the prep. However, I take my parts in batches to a local vendor that specializes in powder and ceramic coating. One could certainly do it themselves with the proper kit and small dedicated oven. The labor in the prep is what adds up as I have found the powder-coat itself to be relatively affordable.

Wood Auto part Metal Tool Composite material
Fluid Cuisine Gas Dish Auto part
Sports equipment Bumper Auto part Fashion accessory Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Bumper Auto part Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior
Musical instrument Bumper Automotive exterior Bag Gas

1 - 8 of 8 Posts