Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 67 has drum brakes - thinking of doing a disc conversion. Were the stock calipers on mustangs all single piston? Are the granada setups also single piston? I have seen kits with 4 piston calipers. I'm somewhat familiar with +/- of doing granada swap vs. kits (I've checked out the sites and posts here and elsewhere), but I'm still not sure with regard to the calipers -- balancing the cost and intended use, which do you think is the better option? Are there other choices I'm missing? Is it worth trying to get a stock 67 setup? (I'm not concerned with originality). Car will mostly get street use - goal is to better enjoy the country back roads -- but it might see an occasional drag race or maybe on a track at a club event. I also want to keep my wheels (68 steel - probably 14").

Thanks for the advice.

1967 Fastback, 289, C-code, AT, PS,
motorsport intake and valve covers, Edelbrock 4V, cam - otherwise stock
dark moss green, parchment interior,
GT rear valance and tips

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
65-67 Disc brake Mustangs have 4 piston calipers.

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571478&a=12409371&p=45514503.jpg

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I don't know for sure (hopefully someone else will), but I think that the Granada switch would require going to 15" wheels. The original disks for 65' - 67' were the four piston Kelsey-Hayes units, and obviously they will fit under the 14" wheel with no problems.

Shannon a.k.a. The ShanMan! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
66' Vintage Burgundy C-code coupe
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571656&a=12306481&p=42935059&Sequence=2.jpg<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by ShanMan on 04/06/01 10:46 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would stay away from the Granada swap if at all possible for the wheel fit problems.Look for single piston caliper setups used from 1968-1970 Mustangs, Cougars, Fairlanes, Montego's etc to make the swap easier and more original, you may have to change outer tie rod ends on some,but they have the smaller hub rotors and correct single piston calipers.Even the spindles and brakes from 71-73 Mustangs will work.

1967 S code GT Deluxe Coupe 65B
1966 Convertible 76B 289 4 speed

Descendent of Francois Seguin dit Laderoute,
Soldier Regiment d' Carignan, New France 1665-1668

1 - 4 of 4 Posts