Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for 67 GT-500 experts. This is fairly involved , so please bare with me. My brother is looking to trade his 70 Boss 302 for a 67 Shelby. He wanted a GT-350 , but as many of you know they are harder to come by then the 500's. Anyway , he has a potential trade lined up , but there is some question as to the authenticity of the engine in the Shelby. He told me that the owner states that ford ran out of 428 PI motors at some point and had to resort to putting 390's in some GT-500's. So , if this is indeed so , how do we find out if this car originally had a 390. He tells me that the GT-500's did not have the serial number in the block , so there is no way to verify if this is indeed the correct motor. I asked him if this was a 4 speed car , he said yes it is. I know that 70 428 cars had the serial number stamped in the trans. case. I am assuming that shelby's did also. I asked him if the trans. had the serial number stamped on it , he said it did. My thinking here is that if the trans is a small spline top loader then the car did indeed have a 390. If it is a big spline top loader then the car should have a 428. I know that it is possible that someone could have changed the input shaft from a big spline to a small spline and thus kill my verification theory , or even swapped the trans. case. Anyone have any ideas on how to verify if this car should have a 390 or a 428?? If the owner is trying to get rid of this car with a 390 instead of the 428 the car should have this could be a major issue in the value of the deal.

70 SCJ R-CODE MACH 1
88 GT

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Have you tried checking the Shelby vin with the Shelby registry? I think they usually have listed all the options and engine and trans. That should give you some insight. I don't have any technical answers for you. I just know that most, if not all, Shelbys should be found in the registry.

Josh
Cullman,AL
64 1/2 Coupe

jpony645 on Yahoo IM
MKSU1DR on AOL IM
http://jpony645.tripod.com/images/left_frt_primer_small.jpg

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
First no expert just someone learning like everyone else should be ;)

"He told me that the owner states that ford ran out of 428 PI motors at some point and had to resort to putting 390's in some GT-500's. So , if this is indeed so , how do we find out if this car originally had a 390."

Nice story there. Shelby/Ford did have a supply problem in 68 not 67. Story could be modified to "fit" a need here.

" He tells me that the GT-500's did not have the serial number in the block , so there is no way to verify if this is indeed the correct motor."

Would expect to see a VIN on GT350's but I don't believe there is a concrete agreement on the 500's I have seen many original 67 GT500's with VIN's on the manual trans and engine blocks... But then again if its got a 390 then we would not expect to see a correct VIN

" I asked him if this was a 4 speed car , he said yes it is. ..... I know that it is possible that someone could have changed the input shaft from a big spline to a small spline and thus kill my verification theory , or even swapped the trans. case.

IMHO yes it should and for the trans ID things can be swapped around as you mentioned (VIN will tell you if it was an automatic or 4 speed car - post the VIN or send it to me and I'll decode and look it up in the registry for you) But the tag on the passenger side would be the first place I would start. Checking casting numbers and looking for the Ford VIN would be things I would check also. Really hard to tell (if all the other things are ther) with out removing

"Anyone have" any ideas on how to verify if this car should have a 390 or a 428??"

Should have a 428

" If the owner is trying to get rid of this car with a 390 instead of the 428 the car should have this
could be a major issue in the value of the deal. "

Very much so. Depending on you needs, planned usage and concern for the car holding its value the original engine plays a part. For some buyers the 390 might make the car a no sale at least it is a serious (IMHO) price lowering fact.

Again get me the number and we'll see if there is a story to go along with the one you already got. In addition make sure you are looking at a real Shelby not a rebody or "air" car

Jeff Speegle
MCA Shelby Gold Card

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/6473
Mustang & Shelby research, documentation, and help.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1609818&a=12284202&p=44925357.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Marc, email me and I will give you a name and email for the Saac expert on 67 model Shelbys

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
I don't think any 67 Shelbys came with a 390. The transmission on my car was indeed original, it had the (Ford) serial# stamped in the case and the tag read RUG-S. The trans was a big input, big output close ratio toploader with a mid-size car tail housing that required the use of a special adapter to re-locate the shifter back to the Mustang location. I believe that close inspection of date codes of the block/heads will tell the real story!

Required tools for operating a Vintage Mustang:
1. Duct Tape
2. J.B. Weld
3. B.F.H. (Big Fat Hammer)
4. VINTAGE MUSTANG FORUMS II
View Album Here: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1616948&a=12352157

1 - 5 of 5 Posts