Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a thread a few weeks ago about the water pump bolt kit that I ordered for my '65 with a 289 and AC but no PS. I was having a heck of a time understanding where the bolts went, and with the help of some folks and some additional research I was able to get on the right track. But, I still have a couple nagging issues I wanted to see if I could get some help on. I figured out that the reason my long bolts on the left side of the WP were too long was I was omitting the AC pulley bracket - once I put that on was I able to get everything to snug up. BUT - the pulley doesn't seem to want to sit flat on the WP, and the alignment between the AC pulley and crank pulley (my understanding is that the AC belt will loop around the outside groove on my 3-groove crank pulley) doesn't seem right at all (AC pulley seems at an angle and closer to the engine than the crank pulley groove).

Additionally, I have WP bolt that still sits about 1/2" too far out. In looking at pictures, it appears this is where a bracket for PS would go if I had it. Is there anything here that I'm missing for a non-PS car? Obviously I can make it work by finding a shorter bolt, but before doing that I wanted to make sure that I'm not forgetting about a bracket or something that will be needed for AC.

So, really I have 2 issues - 1) is there something wrong with my AC pulley arrangement, and 2) am I missing anything where the longer bolt with the gap is? I guess if anyone sees anything else that needs addressing, I'm all ears. Thanks.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I think I figured out the lower AC pulley by flipping the spacer inside the bracket - seems to align better now. Still not sure if the upper should have a spacer/washers or not and what to do what the other bolt that sticks out.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I just went through the very same thing mounting my AC idler pulley bracket. I had to put quite a few spacers/washers between the bracket and the water pump to make it straight and snugged up. When I get home, I can take a picture of the final alignment if you need that. The alignment is very straight and accurate simply based off the attachment point at the alternator.

·
Premium Member
4,896 Posts
Ford used a bunch of spacers and washers to line stuff up, as these castings are not exact, especially when we mix years and aftermarket stuff. Lowe's and HD have a bunch of solid spacers in different diameters and lengths if you don't wanna stack washers.

·
Registered
997 Posts
If you have to stack washers to get a bolt the correct length (without running out of threads), then you have the wrong bolt. I'd be sure to check which belt goes to which crank pulley notch. That would determine your bolt or spacer length. You'll probably have to do a front accessory mock-up to get everything lined up (especially since it's easier on the stand than in the car). If your pulleys aren't lined up properly, you'll have a difficult getting belts to fit.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the comments - I think the best plan of attack is to just stop overthinking it in terms of "correct" and just make it work with washers/spacers. It's obvious that the pulley needs one in order to make it line up with the last crank sheave, so I'll just do that. In regards to that other bolt that is too long, I'll just find a replacement that's about 3/4" shorter.

·
Registered
36,085 Posts
I don't see your water pump pulley. How many sheaves does it have?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't see your water pump pulley. How many sheaves does it have?
Yeah, I don’t have my fan/spaced/bolts yet so I just put the water pump pulley on to mock it up and then take it back off. I have a new 2 sheave pulley for the pump. Crank and WP are aligned very nicely.

Does the “dog leg” AC compressor bracket use the same hole as the upper AC pulley? I can’t find a good pic of how that bracket installs. If so, the fact that I’m missing that bracket right now might explain the gap there.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I should also add, I was using the old alternator in this pic. After this was taken I put the new Powermaster alternator on with the 2 sheave pulley. Both alternator sheaves match nicely with the WP and crank.

·
Registered
36,085 Posts
Well, your 2 sheave alternator pulley is not original for 66, but since you don't have power steering, should be useable.

Here's a Mustangs and Fords photo from years ago. I wrote to them at the time, pointed out the fan was backward, they thanked me but of course never fixed the photo. Otherwise pretty accurate detailing.

Don't bother looking for the article, it's useless. Like all their archives, most of the images are gone.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a '65 (9/64 build) so I think the dual alternator pulley is correct, but I do know what you mean - some say it should have it, some say no. My car was an original AC car, so the most consistent information I could find was that the car would most likely have the heavy duty cooling package w/ the dual pulleys. Plus, since I'm starting from scratch anyway, I like the idea of having 2 belts in case one has an issue.

I found your post on another forum where you posted that picture, and it has been probably my most-reference picture throughout this whole process. What I still can't figure out from it, though is how that "dog leg" bracket between the compressor bracket and the AC pulley mounts, and if it uses one of the same mounting holes as the AC pulley (which would explain my gap). But yes - that has been an EXTREMELY helpful photo.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Clarification - is this what is called a "dogleg" bracket?
This is the “dogleg” bracket that I am referring to. It apparently is in between the compressor mounting bracket and the AC pulley. I don’t have one right now, so I can’t verify where it attaches. The compressor upgrade kit that I’ll be using eliminates this anyway, but it may explain the need for a spacer.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
This is the “dogleg” bracket that I am referring to. It apparently is in between the compressor mounting bracket and the AC pulley. I don’t have one right now, so I can’t verify where it attaches. The compressor upgrade kit that I’ll be using eliminates this anyway, but it may explain the need for a spacer. View attachment 739204
Here are pics I took of mine before I took it off.

Attachments

Reactions: baloo

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
Here is the hardware you need. This assumes you have the timing cover for the cast iron pump Ford switched to mid 65. The earlier aluminum pump used a different cover and hardware.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’m using an aluminum pump and early cover. I have the concours AMK bolt kit for an aluminum pump with AC, so I have all the correct bolts. There are just a couple that don’t make sense. I’m at the point though where instead of fighting it, I’ll just make it work.

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
I’m using an aluminum pump and early cover. I have the concours AMK bolt kit for an aluminum pump with AC, so I have all the correct bolts. There are just a couple that don’t make sense. I’m at the point though where instead of fighting it, I’ll just make it work.
Ok, it’s a bit confusing getting all the spacers correct. Also if the timing cover has been replaced the service versions are different and change the spacer and bolts. You just have to play with the spacers to get everything lined up right.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Did you use this diagram?

Attachments

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did you use this diagram?
Yes, that diagram and that bolt kit. The main bolt that is giving me trouble right now is #6 - it's about 1/2" too long. I'm just going to match the threads and buy a shorter bolt and call it done, I think.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts