Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK....Crane's technical product info they disseminate to the vendors (jegs, summit, paw) isn't helping me...

All the vendors (and crane's website) have the same incomplete info on valve keepers...and it doesn't help that every time I try to call crane, I get a "all circuits are busy"....never get that elsewhere, daytona beach phone companies need to remover their head from their butts!!!

I bought a set of manley valves with 11/32", 4 groove stems and had my 2V cleveland heads machined 3 angle with them...obviously, the seats were done so the middle angle was reasonably centered on the valve face, and obviously I don't want to pay extra money for new valves and a little more seat work!!

Every time I call jegs they give me a wrong part number (for single groove 11/32 valves)!!!! GRRRRRR!!!!!

If I EVER get thru to crane again, hopefully they will tell me they have 4 groove 11/32" keepers...if not, I have a few options;

1. Use comp keepers (THEY AT LEAST LIST THEM IN THEIR PRODUCT INFO!!!)

2. Use comp keepers and spring retainers (hoping they have retainers that are very close!!)

3. Use comp keepers/springs/retainers (hoping I get the springs close to the same specs as crane's recommended ones!)

4. Use the SSI (PAW's pet brand) keepers I got with the valves in crane retainers

I'd like to hear from all the other seasoned engine builders of vmf as to their experience and views about mixing and matching these valvetrain parts.

I can't imagine using comp keepers in crane retainers would pose a problem (in terms of compatible metallurgy, as log as their both 4000 series steel)...after all, the keepers and the retainers don't turn in respect to each other once they're assembled

Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I have mixed and matched those parts for years and never had a problem.Thing is most companies do not make the parts themselfs. One of the biggest valve train parts makers is Elgin. So just because it says Crane don't think Crane made it. Next thing is your 4 groove valves. I don't know why Ford ever used multi groove valves. They are no good for performance applications. If it were mine I would lose them but that is my opionion.

69 Mach 1 427 Windsor

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suspect they did because they promote rotation....I would imagine rotation of the valve would reduce the chances of eccentricity, carbon buildup, hot spots

Not saying it's necessarily good for performance, but I've used them before for street performance levels

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
I'd like to hear from all the other seasoned engine builders of vmf as to their experience and views about mixing and matching these valvetrain parts.

IME, no biggie, as long as the parts meet the correct specs. I've been doing that for years...

Personally, I wouldn't use mult-groove keepers in a performance application but then that's just me *G*...

Any local engine rebuilder or parts supplier will have the keepers you need....for mild engines (read modest spring pressure), they'll work fine

Here's a quote from Dan Jones, a respected writer over at Mustangs and More

- Use single piece stainless steel valves with single groove keepers. Valve
train failure is the number one failure mode for a Cleveland. The stock
valves are two piece with loose fitting multi-groove keepers. If they don't
slip out of the keeper, they'll pop the head off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts