Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so I have the t56 slid in, its just on a cheap trans jack at the moment, 1/2" drop motor mounts installed. Looks good, motor centered in bay, Measuring at crank centerline between frame rails and trans output shaft centered as well. This is what it looks like at the shifter hole after I slid the pan in.... is this somewhat close to what you experienced? It doesn't really bother me, but just checking that I'm not effing up somewhere.

·
Registered
917 Posts
My OCD would not allow me to have the shifter offset in the trans tunnel opening. You'll have to excuse my not so straight drawing, but you can cut out the hole with a 1" +/- tab on the passenger side, turn it 180 degrees, weld it back in place, a little grinding and it will look like it came that way. You can also use this method to move the hole forward and aft as well, as needed.

What is your drivel line angle with the 1/2" drop mounts and are you using a 9.5" deck or a 8.2" deck?

Trans Tunne'.jpg

Reactions: Redneckgearhead

·
Premium Member
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My OCD would not allow me to have the shifter offset in the trans tunnel opening. You'll have to excuse my not so straight drawing, but you can cut out the hole with a 1" +/- tab on the passenger side, turn it 180 degrees, weld it back in place, a little grinding and it will look like it came that way. You can also use this method to move the hole forward and aft as well, as needed.

What is your drivel line angle with the 1/2" drop mounts and are you using a 9.5" deck or a 8.2" deck?

View attachment 762434
Lol ive already got the hole marked out to do this very thing. I think if I dont the shifter boot could cause issues. 9.5

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I would love to do this, but don't want to give up the stock console in my 67. :(

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
My T56 shifter came through the floor hole, except that is sits slightly forward. The engine/trans is about ½" more forward than I would like, due to the Unisteer steering rack mount and the oil pan, but It's good side to side. But I did have to raise the trans tunnel about 2" and trim the passenger side of the tunnel and floor about an inch. I also had to cut down a couple of nibs on the transmission case on the Right side. they were there to protect an electronic switch. They will still protect the switch, but are not quite as long. I used the Ron Morris drop motor mounts and a weld it your self Alston transmission mount. The engine and trans is at exactly 3º down at the tail shaft.

Reactions: Redneckgearhead
1 - 5 of 5 Posts