Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I have a BB tranny that we are trying to bolt up to a 351W. It is out of an old fairlane. I was told that all we needed was a pilot bushing and now im being told that the tail shaft housing is too long. Any info? Thanks guys.

~Chris
San Antonio, Tx
66 coupe 289
70 fastback done by may/graduation...hopefully

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
You are going against the tide so to speak. It is possible to use the short shafts in either application, however the long shaft does not work that way. It should be pretty easy to find someone who wants to trade though because the short shaft is more common (I think).

[email protected]
1967 351W Convertible
2000 Mustang GT
Please bring back last post to top!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help Jay.

~Chris
San Antonio, Tx
66 coupe 289

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
If this is a toploader that's right. The BB trans first of all has a larger input shaft, but that's fine, just use the BB clutch disc with the SB pressure plate, (the same diameter of course). Yes, the tailshaft housing is different. The shifter location is farther back on the Fairlane/Galixie trans. I'm not sure if the length changed but I beleive it did.

The one you have is even more rare then the Mustang part. You might see if you can trade it to some Fairlane/Galixie guy for one that's right.

Also, check the bolt pattern on the front of the trans where it bolts to the back of the bellhousing. They changed this pattern in, I think '64. If It's the Galixie trans with the wrong bolt pattern, I would find a Mustang trans, you will be WAY ahead in the long run.

Hal
Love hard, drive fast, wear your seat belt.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info whisperer. Interesting about it being more rare. Thanks again. hehe like im replying to all the posts to get rid of this "newbie status" lol

~Chris
San Antonio, Tx
66 coupe 289

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I think if you use a big input shaft BB toploader you can get a special stepped pilot bearing that will allow you to use the trans in a 289/302/351W

My humble input...

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats what I was told too but now I am being told that the tail shaft housing is too long. We wil get this thing together sooner or later. Probably later than sooner but oh well. Thanks for the reply.

~Chris
San Antonio, Tx
66 coupe 289

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
...but you still need to use the BB clutch disc. The spline size on the BB is larger then the spline size on the SB. That's the only difference in the actual clutch that I have discovered.

Yes, buy the right pilot shaft bushing and the trans will bolt together with the engine.

Hal
Love hard, drive fast, wear your seat belt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts