Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im begining to think that I hooked up my power steering lines backwards. Heres how I hooked them up..

Pump/pressure Hose to LEFT fitting on the control valve( or whatever that thing is called where the lines go to).

Return line from resivoir to RIGHT side fitting on control valve.

Im thinking its backward becaused when I turn the wheel the line breaks off like It doesnt handle the pressure and send fluid all over the garage. Its 3/8 hose clamped on to steel brake line type line. Does anybody have pictures of how this is supposed to be hooked up? Thanks for the help. Josh

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Hello, I do not have pictures of the power steering hose connections for a 71-73. Having hooked up my hoses backwards twice on the 70 (which has power assested steering versus true power steering in the 71-73), I can tell you a few symptoms. On the power assisted steering, if you hook up the hoses backwards the steering wheel will turn forcefully from lock to lock, basically spraining your wrist if you are unfortunate enough to have your hand on the steering wheel at the time.

From what you describe, you have pressure in the "return" line (which is the low pressure side returning to the bib on the pump where you secure the hose with clamp. My suggestion is to reverse the lines at the control valve and see what happens. But, KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF the steering wheel when you first start up the car! The other idea is to call one of the catalogs and ask - not NPD, they don't have tech types on some of the phone lines, just kids (been there, seen them). I've had good luck with Classic Mustang Parts of VA. Just my 2 cents worth. good luck.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Just remember, hose clamps are not designed for high pressure. If it has a hose clamp on it, it has to be the return...

·
Registered
680 Posts
Sorry for double post, but, just thought, you don't have a pressure valve. That is the steering box that the hoses run to first.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If my memore serves me(and sometimes it doesn't) the larger of the two hose connections in the steering box is the pressure side as is the center of the pump.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
IIRC the lines to the steering box have different size fittings. You cannot get them backwards. The return hose does use clamps but the pressure hose is crimped. Make sure you dont have a problem with the return hose being kinked or a blockage internally..

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
if you hook up the hoses backwards the steering wheel will turn forcefully from lock to lock, basically spraining your wrist if you are unfortunate enough to have your hand on the steering wheel at the time.

Comforting to know I'm not the only one to do that doofus! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
657 Posts
Josh
Do you still have the cooler attached? I had the same problem with my car when I first got it. The clamp would let go at some unbelievably poor spot and spray fluid everywhere. I took out the cooler and ran solid lines and have never had a problem since.

If you need me to I can check my lines for you tonight

1 - 9 of 9 Posts