Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Things are starting to look better for DT.
I talked to the machine shop today and although they haven't really torn into the block yet, they have given it a 'visual' once over and they think everything in it will be ok.

So I was thinking about the cam again.

This is this cam I have:
http://dab7.cranecams.com/SpecCard/DisplayCatalogCard.asp?PN=524551

This is the cam the car had when I got it:
http://dab7.cranecams.com/SpecCard/DisplayCatalogCard.asp?PN=521141

At this point, I run with the cam I bought, the cam that came with the car, or some other cam......

I have calls into places that were recommneded that will for a fee suggest a cam to use....but I thought I would give the forum another crack at this one before I making any decisions.

I looked at this one and thought about...its got a little more lift to it but doesn't seem over the top radical.
http://dab7.cranecams.com/SpecCard/DisplayCatalogCard.asp?PN=520351

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
I am gonna throw this out there...

I dont like Crane. They have never come through for me. I have had others I know unhappy with Crane.

That aside... the specs on that last cam look good. I might go a little rougher, but that is personal choice. For me, my next cam is going to be Lunati 00094. 300/310 advertised, 234/244 @.050, with .562/.588 lifts and a 112 seperation. It is basically the big brother to the cam I have now. The one I have now has an idle to it, but when you are under the hood it is silky smooth. If I had a tamer exhaust, it might be mistaken for stock. I figure that 00094 gives it more balls all around without changing the RPM range too much. You have the gearing and stall for it. That is where I would (and will) go.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Nick, I'm no expert here and don't claim to be. Just want to pass on some info(which you may already know). I had a '70 Mach I back in the early '80's and this is what I had.It was a 351C w/ an FMX and 4.11 rear. It had 4V heads and I installed an Edelbrock F351-4V intake and a Holley 650 double pumper. The cam we put in was a Crane "Gripper" series, which I believe had specs similar to to the # 524551 you have (maybe slightly less less lift, but approx same duration). I put this combo together based on info from a book "Ford Performance" by Pat Gandel. Car ran good and I had a lot of fun with it. Quote from book states " Just remember , when it comes to port and head design-the Clevland Ford is a completely different animal from almost any other engine. Be sure you're talking to someone who knows the difference". I guess what their saying is don't go by recommendations from some "speed shop guy who messes w/ 327 - 350 Chevys and says you need more duration. As I remember, engine pulled 15"-16" vacuum at idle and sounded cool and ran well. Again, i'm no expert and just wanted to pass on this info (hope it helps). I don't believe Edellbrock & Crane make these (F351-4V & Gripper) anymore or maybe they just sell them under different names. I met you @ Ford Carlisle and was in the VMF pic we took. Well good luck and take care. PS: Currently taking a break (and a cold one)while cutting the grass and hopefully creating more Mustang time. I'm trying to teach my soon to be 11 son year old how to ride/cut on the lawn tractor. Any input from VMFer's on this? What age did you start? Is he too young? He's about 65 Lbs and 4.5' tall. Tractor has safety if seat is lifted and he can reach the pedals, but once in awhile engine sputters when he hits some bumps and his butt bounces up. Well take care and thanks, Stan

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
I'm VERY happy with my custom cam. It was spec'd by Buddy Rawls and ground by Comp. Although mild, still delivers plenty of performance (307/314 at the wheels).::

Take a look at his site and shoot him an email. He's very easy to deal with and will spec the cam for about $35.

http://www.wighat.com/fcr3/camtruth.htm

Good luck. :)

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I think a custom cam is a good idea, you may find out that it matches a off the shelf grind, or the cam you have is close to perfect. You had so many issues going on, i dought the current setup was anywhere near it's full potential. I've heard good stuff about Buddy Rawls. I've used Ed Curtis also at www.flowtechinduction.com , he charges about 350.00 but it included the cam (ground by comp cams)

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
I've also heard of Ed Curtis and he has a good rep too.

To expand a little on Buddy Rawls; he spec'd my cam and arranged for Comp to grind it. It was delivered to him from Comp and he then checked the grind for accuracy. It was a 1/2 degree off, but I could live with that and Buddy confirmed it. The whole deal was about $290. It was, IMHO, worth every penny and more. My stroker performs just as I wanted it to and Buddy supplied a cam that leaves no doubt in my mind.

Be prepared to supply him with a lot of details and specs on not just your engine but your whole car. And be sure you tell him exactly how you want the car to perform. Because once he specs a cam, that's exactly what you will get.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts