Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted about the lifters manifold and carb. I was wondering if I could install the performer RPM cam and lifter kit, manifold, and carb without changing my stock heads. Eventually I will drop a pair of thos bad boys in but its gonna take time saving up 515 each. Any suggestions? THanks

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
the cam may need valve springs to match...whether or not appropriate springs will fit your heads is another subject altogether

if your heads do have integral cups that make spring upgrades difficult, there are also tapered valvesprings that can fit.....

·
7,022 Posts
Hector,

Yeah you could do that. But you asked for a suggestion, so here's a good one.

Take a deep breath. Think about what you are doing. IIRC you posted the other day that your engine is making all kinds of bad noises and your mechanic said it had problems. The FIRST thing you need to do is figure out what is wrong with your engine and address that. That's before any performance parts. Throwing a new cam and lifter kit at an engine without making sure it is in good shape to begin with would be a waste of time, effort and cash.

If it were me, I'd be finding out exactly where the noises were coming from, figuring out how many miles the engine had on it since rebuild, measuring the oil pressure and doing a compression test...before I went running to the summit catalog for a bunch of go-fast-jump-high goodies.

But that's just me. You do what you want to do and good luck while you're doing it.

Phil

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
What engine, what heads? You should either put your info in your bio, or be much more specific when asking a question, as we really can't give an intellegent answer not having any idea what you're working on.

The most intelegent answer I can give, though, is probably not. You'll need at the minimum, valve springs capable of living up to the RPM cam. You may even need to upgrade to screw in studs, assumming you have pressed in studs now. DO NOT run that cam, even for a minute with stock 289/302 heads. I did, and it took about 3 minutes to snap a rocker arm in half ... and I got lucky that's all that broke.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts