Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was ready to install my new cam this afternoon and openend the box to find there was no cam lube supplied. Is this used with a roller cam? The instructions state it must be used and is included, but the instructions may generic, for both flat tappet and roller applications.

Do I need cam lube with a roller cam or not?

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
No need to lube a roller cam, as it doesn't need to be broke in like a flat tappet cam.
I would make sure that the cam isn't dry though. A little motor oil on the lobes isn't a bad idea.

·
Registered
759 Posts
A little 10W30 is all you'll need. Double check your roller lifters for any wear, if they're OK they can be reused. Do NOT clean the roller lifter wheel bearing with compressed air, you'll burn the bearing up (while it sounds cool, ask me how I know!) :wall:

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good news, I kinda thought that but wanted to be sure. I will make sure there is some oil on everything before installing the intake. I will also prime the oil pump before I restart. That is still some time away, I haven't started on the Gear Vendor yet, hopefully in a week or so.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts