Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'll admit. I've got NO IDEA what to do when it comes to cams. So, I need some help. I'm going to start assembly of my motor, and need to figure a cam. If anyone with any experience can help me out, it's much appreciated. Below is the current parts I have and plan to use, along with the cars intent.

88 Roller Block 30 over.
DSS 331 Rotating Assembly, Eagle Cast Crank, Eagle Rods, FX series race pistons with -5cc cuts for Twisted Wedge Heads.
Trick Flow Track Heat 170s 61cc, 1.6 Roller Rockers
Weiland Stealth Intake
Should land right at 10:1 compression with above combo.

Currently a C4, but have a 4r70w to swap later.
Power Brakes
Future plans for EFI (Most likely Holley Sniper)
3.25 Currie Track Lock 8" Rear
Future plans for Air Conditioning

Car will be street car. Mostly driven to and from work on highway, around town, and to some shows in the summer. Should rarely see 6k.
I'd like a nice lump, but nothing radical. Prefer a smooth torque band if possible.

Anyone have any suggestions? Would prefer off the shelf cam at this stage. I'll most likely change heads down the road, so then I would consider a custom grind.

·
Registered
213 Posts
For what your plans are why would you need different heads? Although they probably don't flow as well as the new Trick Flow 11R heads they still flow plenty for what you are looking to do.

As for the cam you probably only need duration to be in the low 200 degrees with as much lift as your springs will tolerate. I would look at some of Comp cams XFI lobe cams or one of the Trick Flow cams designed specifically for their heads. You might be able to find one of the Trick Flow cams used. Both of those style cams are designed for fuel injection so they don't have a lot of overlap, have wide lobe centers and would be good for power brakes, high gears and an automatic.
Good luck!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Comp 274HR

·
Registered
20,555 Posts
You can ask 100 different people, you'll get 100 different answers. 2 ways of getting the best cam. A, get a custom ground cam. B, call a cam company like Howard's or Iskendarian and talk with one of their techs. You'll be talking with a expert who ask you all sorts of questions about your car, engine and how you drive instead of reading off a scripted flow chart. You'll get the best off the shelf cam for your use.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can ask 100 different people, you'll get 100 different answers. 2 ways of getting the best cam. A, get a custom ground cam. B, call a cam company like Howard's or Iskendarian and talk with one of their techs. You'll be talking with a expert who ask you all sorts of questions about your car, engine and how you drive instead of reading off a scripted flow chart. You'll get the best off the shelf cam for your use.
VERY TRUE. I had emailed both Comp and Isky and got no response.
So, I figured my combo is no where near new and there's gotta be a shelf option that should work just fine. I'll try calling anyhow.

·
Registered
20,555 Posts
VERY TRUE. I had emailed both Comp and Isky and got no response.
So, I figured my combo is no where near new and there's gotta be a shelf option that should work just fine. I'll try calling anyhow.
Try Howard's. When I was putting my GT40P in I thought it would be the ideal time to put a cam in if I was going to. I called Howard's several times. Always got someone and they were always willing to talk and never felt rushed. I ended up using a stock Mustang cam mostly because I wasn't sure on exactly what I wanted to do with the car.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I'm very happy with the TFS stage 1 cam in my 347". It's kind of designed to be used with the Tw170 heads. A common advise about cams is that its better to under cam than over cam an engine.The big cam will give the biggest peak numbers, but the smaller cam will usually make the car feel faster and easier driven on the streets.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm very happy with the TFS stage 1 cam in my 347". It's kind of designed to be used with the Tw170 heads. A common advise about cams is that its better to under cam than over cam an engine.The big cam will give the biggest peak numbers, but the smaller cam will usually make the car feel faster and easier driven on the streets.
Thanks for the tip!!!!

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Not trying to change your design plan but,,,,,, with the OD you can run a deeper gear and some additional stall and it will be a lot more fun on the street. It will still cruise well on the highway as well. The 4R70W is usually a lock up type transmission unless you get one with the lock up deleted. Even if you get a performance built one they can handle a significant amount of power and still let you run lock up out on the highway. So, once it hits OD and locks, your rpms are likely to drop below the torque curve on even the mildest cam(other than stock) that you could put in there and still have fun with it. This is why you probably need to discuss all of this with a custom cam grinder. You might be a lot happer with maybe a 3.55 gear and 2500 stall converter with this and get a cam ground that will let you have the best of both ends.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not trying to change your design plan but,,,,,, with the OD you can run a deeper gear and some additional stall and it will be a lot more fun on the street. It will still cruise well on the highway as well. The 4R70W is usually a lock up type transmission unless you get one with the lock up deleted. Even if you get a performance built one they can handle a significant amount of power and still let you run lock up out on the highway. So, once it hits OD and locks, your rpms are likely to drop below the torque curve on even the mildest cam(other than stock) that you could put in there and still have fun with it. This is why you probably need to discuss all of this with a custom cam grinder. You might be a lot happer with maybe a 3.55 gear and 2500 stall converter with this and get a cam ground that will let you have the best of both ends.
All understood, and had in the back of my mind.
Was sort of a time is of the essence thing. I picked up the 3.25 Track Loc not long ago and planned to use it with the C4, from here at VMF. I know the 355 will be a better gear when the 4r70w goes in. Right now, I'm just focused on getting the car back together to cruise and planning on the 4r70w towards next winter. I picked up the 4r70w just last week when I spotted the right one for sale.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
The Ford "E" cam ( Crane 2040) is good and better with a 1.7 rocker. The stock GT cam with a 1.7 rocker will surprise you as well. No need to go over [email protected] .050 duration. Hyd rollers are "bigger" than a same numbered hyd flat lifter.
Randy

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible
784 Posts
Another vote for the XE274HR or go custom. I think it will cost a few more dollars but will be tailored to your engine.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
The Lunati 50711 is a real good off the shelf cam. Similar in specs to the Comp 274HR

Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 221/229; Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .549/.565; LSA/ICL: 112/108; Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd; RPM Range: 2200-6200

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I have a 264HR cam in my 331. I chose it because I was dealing with a C4 with a stock converter at the time but now run a T-5. It pulls great from idle to 5500+ and doesn't fall flat on it's face even up to the occasional 6400 redline at autocross events. I'm super curious if the 274 HR would pull harder without sacrificing the low end I need when coming out of a tight turn in second gear at an event, but not curious enough to try it until I find myself staring at the lifter valley for some other reason. I would say the 264HR is the safe cam for a stock converter and lugging around in over drive.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Cturbo, the Comp and the Lunati listed are both fine, but your 3.25 gear and the fuel injector in the future would both be happier if you had a cam ground with similar specs but clock the exhaust lobes ahead a few degrees so you have a wider lobe spread, something like 114 or 116. That will idle better and give you awesome drivability. LSG

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Current update... (Figured I'd share incase anyone else is in the same boat) I've been calling a few cam manufacturers for their recommendations. It's sorta all across the board, but I'm still trying to grasp the basics of how the numbers relate to real world reaction. But see below. Feel free to share your thoughts as I'm not sure which one yet, I still need to call Isky and Trick Flow.

All durations at 050

Comp Cams (a little bit of a wait time, but very friendly)
recommended 2 cams (for the possible future EFI conversion if I go that road)
Carb= 35-430-8 Magnum cam 224/224 .560/.560 110 LSA
EFI= 35-302-8 220/224 .512/.533 112 LSA

Lunati (short wait, extremely helpful and friendly)
Voodoo Cam 20350711 (old 61011)= 221/229 .549/.565 112 LSA

Howards (no wait, beyond helpful and friendly, did not have it in stock at the moment)
221145-10 = 219/225 .544/.533 110 LSA

I need to check what springs are on my heads. I think they are good for .550 lift with the base springs. Guy previously had a TFS stage 1 on there.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts