Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Of the cams you have listed The lunati 20350711 would be my choice. Any more aggressive then that and you will need more rear gear. Make sure to use a good converter. I would be concerned with the open and closed valve spring pressures on your current springs. You can contact Flow tech inductions for some good springs. I would just plan on changing them out.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Of the cams you have listed The lunati 20350711 would be my choice. Any more aggressive then that and you will need more rear gear. Make sure to use a good converter. I would be concerned with the open and closed valve spring pressures on your current springs. You can contact Flow tech inductions for some good springs. I would just plan on changing them out.
Absolutely, I'm going to confirm which springs are in there when I get home from work. The heads have just been freshened. But I think the standards are only good for .550 lift. I know the upgraded ones from TF are good to .600

·
Registered
20,339 Posts
That Howard's Cam is one I had been considering. The 110° LSA is going to produce a little higher torque peak in a short RPM range. That cam will make a lot of power up to around 6K that start to fall off . With the same specs but 112° it's going to flatten and extended RPM range and smoother idle.

I spent quite a bit of time talking with Howard's. If I buy a cam it's going to be from them.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Would you think maybe the step down from Lunati would be a better suit? 20350710 (Int/Exh): 211/219; Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .541/.549; LSA: 112 Or am I choking it off too much. I'm really thinking that I'm staying in 1500-5000 more than anything.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
That Howard's Cam is one I had been considering. The 110° LSA is going to produce a little higher torque peak in a short RPM range. That cam will make a lot of power up to around 6K that start to fall off . With the same specs but 112° it's going to flatten and extended RPM range and smoother idle.

I spent quite a bit of time talking with Howard's. If I buy a cam it's going to be from them.
Howard's was awesome to talk to for sure. He said they offer that exact cam in 112 as well. But he did say an aftermarket EFI like the Holley Sniper will work fine with the 110.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Would you think maybe the step down from Lunati would be a better suit? 20350710 (Int/Exh): 211/219; Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .541/.549; LSA: 112 Or am I choking it off too much. I'm really thinking that I'm staying in 1500-5000 more than anything.
That would be a really mild cam on a stroker. Keep in mind the extra cubic inches will tame the cam some. That Lunati you listed is a great cam and will work well with the stealth intake. Jegs has a great off the shelf converter for the 1970 and newer c4 in the XHD series

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
That would be a really mild cam on a stroker. Keep in mind the extra cubic inches will tame the cam some. That Lunati you listed is a great cam and will work well with the stealth intake. Jegs has a great off the shelf converter for the 1970 and newer c4 in the XHD series
Unfortunately, I have the 66 Green Dot C4 currently. But a 4R70w sitting on the garage floor.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The 110 LSA's will have more overlap and make a bit more power in the midrange. They probably won't idle as well. Pick your poison. None of those are big cams for a 302 and especially for a 331.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I did check, I've got the double springs in my heads good for .600 lift. Made another call to Isky today. Waiting for Ron to call me back with his suggestion.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
The 110 LSA's will have more overlap and make a bit more power in the midrange. They probably won't idle as well. Pick your poison. None of those are big cams for a 302 and especially for a 331.
Good to hear. Wanting to stag mild, and alot of this is a learning experience for me.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I'm really thinking that I'm staying in 1500-5000 more than anything.
Even on a modest 331 you are going to be zinging way past 5000 rpm in the seeming blink of an eye. Don't limit yourself.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
CTurbo, all of the cams mentioned so far are tighter than I would choose for you. Knowing you have the 3.25 gear right now, and will have overdrive in the future, and you have A/C, and want the ability to fuel inject later, how about a Comp XE270HR, # 35-351-8, with 270/276 advertized, 218/224 @ .050, .512 lift, on a 114 spread. The fast ramps and wide LSA keep overlap down, which means your engine can idle in gear with the cool air blowing. Your power brakes will work, and would be very happy with fuel injection in the future. LSG

·
Registered
189 Posts
I agree with LSG about being careful.
One thing to think about is cylinder pressure. Yes cams with smaller numerical LSAs idle rougher but they also build midrange torque. Sometimes cams with higher numerical LSA's make up for that by having more advertised duration so you want to look at what your dynamic (not static) compression ratio will be. If you pick a cam with bigger advertised duration and a numerically high LSA you will have a dog. Also compare the cam's duration numbers at .050 and advertised. The closer the numbers are the more aggressive the lobe. Usually the more modern the cam the more they are able to get decent .050 duration with not as much advertised duration. Those will have the most cylinder pressure.

Having said all of that I would note that the comp cam cited above has less duration at .050 than the one in my 306 yet has more advertised. To give you some perspective I have a Lunati Voodoo solid flat which has pretty aggressive lobes even though it's a pretty mild cam. It has a lope but not bad. It would be fine with the fuel injection but not with 3.25 gears, power brakes, air conditioning as it idles at about 12.5 inches of vac at about 900 rpm. It is 266/276 advertised, but 233/241 at .050. On solids you have to subtract half the lash from the duration so it is probably closer to a 226/233 at .050 on a 110 LSA. It has 50 degrees of overlap. Now on my 306 it probably peaks somewhere between 6000 and 6500. It revs pretty easily to 6800. In a 331 it would definitely peak 6000 rpm or lower.

To make a long story short any of the cams you are looking at should peak much lower in a 331 probably somewhere around the 5000 rpm you are looking at for peak. Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'd go with Comp xtreme energy 270hr-114 part number 35-351-8. 218/224-114 .512 lift.
This cam has a wide lobe separation angle of 114 degrees which will work better with fuel injection, give you more vacuum at idle and idle smoother. There is a 112 degree version of this cam as well but the 114 one will work better just off idle.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I've decided on the Howard's CL220235 cam for the 331 I am building.
I'll be using Edelbrock E Street (350-5023) heads. (All part numbers are Jeg's).
I went with the Edelbrock heads because their intake port volume is not too large and the combustion chamber volume is 60cc, not too different from the original heads.
The engine will be used from idle to 5500, and that cam fits perfectly.
I want usable 'street power' for a street car, because it will probably never see a track.
If you have intentions of track use, then you'll have to begin the 'Great Compromise' between street and track.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts