Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rebuilding my 351C..it is a 2V..will probably change it to a 4V..any ideas for a good cam..I like the punchy bottom end and will probably never spin this thing close to it's redline..other factors to consider..headers, auto, and 3:25 gears..are part of the car right now and will stay

G

·
0 Posts
I'm planning to get a 351C to rebuild for my car. I've been looking at a Crane Hyd Roller cam. For what you're wanting, No 1 on this page would probably be good for you.

Jason

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
For bottom end, I'd keep the 2V heads, maybe go to larger valves....
I'm a believer in the hydraulic roller cams, you can have the best of both worlds....good idle, good low end, and still have power in the upper RPM range.
Look for lobe seperation angle....The lower the number, the more "peaky" the motor will be....The higher the number, the "flatter" the torque/horsepower curve will be, meaning more lo-end power.
I wouldn't go over 270 degrees on the duration (advertised duration) so you can keep a reasonable idle and will have more low end torque.

Look closely at Crane PowerMax H-266-2 Hydraulic flat tappet, Good idle, 2400-2800 cruise RPM, good daily usage, good mileage. Makes power from 1600-4700 RPM

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
I just put a cam in my son's 68 302, Elderbrock, Holley 600, bought a Competition Cam from my local speed shop. We did a good bit of research to get a good sounding cam without losing the bottom-end.
Here's the specs.
Part # 31-414-3
Grind # FS 270H-10
Gross valve lift .50 .500
Duration @ .050 224
Lobe lift .3130

You may understand all that. I just told the speed guy I had a 302, 3.00 gears, C4 that I wanted to sound good without losing low-end. I was happy with the choice.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I'm about to assemble a 2v headed 351c....

I'm going to use a crane powermax hydraulic cam (not totally decided on whether or not I'll use the 272 or 278...probably the 278)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts