Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have question about cam sprocket. What are differences on use with these two sprockets in picture? When I had flat tappet cam on engine there was that darker color sprocket. Then I changed roller cam (Howards) and changed that other sprocket to engine. After that I have small whining noise from engine and sound changes when revving engine. Block on my car is '79 302. Are those two sprocket interchangeable? Thanks for info !

Attachments

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
thrust plates

AK, those are camshaft thrust plates, not sprockets. Why did you change from the one to the other ? What if you change back ? LSG

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No i haven't changed old one back just don't wanna disassemble front of engine again. Only difference I see between those is that oil is going to cam end from different path. Both plates are same thickness. I have no other problems with engine, only whining noise that can be heard between 1500-2000rpm. Just wanna know if someone have knowledge between those two, maybe older one is early plate and other came to later model engines?

·
Registered
381 Posts
AK it looks like you might have to disassemble the front of the engine again. The thrust plate with the "dog ear" is the correct one for the 289/302. The other one looks like it's from a Cleveland. The dog ear closes an oil gallery when the thrust plate is in place. Oil from this gallery enters the groove & lubricates the thrust face of the camshaft. You can understand the reason for the excessive wear on the thrust plate without the dog ear.

Here's a picture of my 289 - 331 build. I have circled the oil gallery in red.

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
AK it looks like you might have to disassemble the front of the engine again. The thrust plate with the "dog ear" is the correct one for the 289/302. The other one looks like it's from a Cleveland. The dog ear closes an oil gallery when the thrust plate is in place. Oil from this gallery enters the groove & lubricates the thrust face of the camshaft. You can understand the reason for the excessive wear on the thrust plate without the dog ear.

Here's a picture of my 289 - 331 build. I have circled the oil gallery in red.

Hope it helps.
This is correct.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ah ok, so lower one in my picture that was earlier in engine is correct one? Even that block is '79 and cam is roller? That third "lump" with groove is wrong? And it blocks oli passage that is needed?

EDIT: Here is video I found from youtube:

I installed thrust plate just like it shows on video. Can it be wrong?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If thrust plate is ok something came to my mind. I have Cloyes billet timing gear on engine, can it rub against cast thrust plate and cause that whining noise? Just thought to ask it from Cloyes tech support.

·
Registered
381 Posts
The top thrust plate in your picture, the one with "back, bottom" stamped in it is the correct one for your 302. If the oil gallery isn't closed by the dog ear, oil will just spray onto the inside of the timing cover.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The top thrust plate in your picture, the one with "back, bottom" stamped in it is the correct one for your 302. If the oil gallery isn't closed by the dog ear, oil will just spray onto the inside of the timing cover.
Thanks, I'll post pictures here when I have disassembled front end and what I find there. I already ordered from Amazon new Ford Motorsport steel thrust plate.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Take note of Pony Gaz's upgrades to his 289 block, threaded oil galley block off plugs and the hole drilled in the one that will now feed the dist gear...nice upgrade, not sure if I would do it on an assembled engine, but ...maybe :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Thanks Geicoman. I know millions of Ford Small Blocks have the push -in gallery plugs & work very well with them. But heck, I'd done a lot of reading & had my bare block so I thought I'd give it a go. The cool thing was, there was only one hole to drill, & that was a 1,5mm hole in one of the plugs. After the push in plugs were driven out, a 1/4 - 18 NPT tap fits great without drilling.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Will this mod work on a 351W? Is there a write up for it anywhere?
Thanks
Russ

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Thanks.
So far (I'm still looking) all I have found is replacing the push in plugs with the threaded plugs, but nothing on drilling any of them for oiling.
I have found lots of people that seem to think 351W are the same as a 351C as far as oiling systems go. Having both, I know better than that at least.
Russ

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I did it recently after seeing it done on some utube videos and reading about it. Got the tap and plugs from fastenal and the teeny tiny drill bit from home depot for a dremmel...easy peasy on a bare block!

·
Registered
884 Posts
I just threw the plug between two small pieces of wood and chucked it into a vice. They drill pretty easily. As far as the size of the bit I used I don't recall. I think I found it on sbftech.com.

Sent from my LG-D631 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34,281 Posts
If you're using the proper cam thrust plate and camshaft end play is set correctly I don't see a need for additional oiling of the chain and sprockets. What I DO think is critical is orientation of the front cam bearing so the distributor gear gets properly oiled.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I did it recently after seeing it done on some utube videos and reading about it. Got the tap and plugs from fastenal and the teeny tiny drill bit from home depot for a dremmel...easy peasy on a bare block!
This is the first I’ve heard of it and can’t find and references anywhere.
Any details and pictures available?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts