Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My original 72 Mustang 302 still runs great for every day driving, but it has lost a lot of thrust over the years. It has been suggested to me that I might considered replacing the CAM. New 302 engine I have been told is 3 K. Should replace the CAM and assorted other parts (ie. lifters, etc). If I go with a new CAM, where is a good place to buy one. Or is this expected to left to the shop that install it so they can make extra on the parts?

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Yes, you can cam up a 302.......but if it isnt as peppy as it used to be, the power you gain will wear it out much quicker.

The stress on parts multiplies almost exponentially as RPM increases.....I wouldnt put any more than a 270 degree cam AT MOST....probably closer to a 260.

Im sure money's tight.....does the car smoke at all right now? If it doesnt and the compression is good, I'd consider a freshly turned crank and correct undersize bearings along with that cam (the crank clearances usually go first ruining oiling)....might even poke around for an inexpensive set of compatible newly mahined heads (Ive seen vintage 302 heads freshly machined go for 100 bucks)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts