Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright. I took the financial blood bat and joined the "Lincoln Brotherhood". I picked up the 135 mig welder at Lowes and the tank and gas at the welding shop. Now I need to know when you guys are gonna show up at teach me how to use it!

Seriously, what do I need to do to begin to learn this beast??

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Follow the instructions and teach yourself, thats how I learned. Just don't tell anyone you used the instructions, real men don't use them! LOL!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I already knew better than to fall into that womanly trap. I would lose major testosterone points for reading manuals!

·
Registered
625 Posts
If you have some old metal you are replacing, practice on this. Cut in half and try to put it back together. Try butt welds and lap welds too. Or go to a body shop and explain that you need some to practice on. They might have some sheet metal laying around. But try to find something the thickness you are going to be welding.

·
6,855 Posts
Well, I've got a meeting at the Sheratorn Music City Hotel on August 21st...I guess I could stop by after that. But shoot, you should be welding like an expert by then.

Personnally, I read the manual, watched the video, and then started welding scraps I got for free from a local sheet metal shop. My #1 tip. Grind the area to be welded so that it COMPLETELY clean of rust, undercoating, paint, oil, etc...if you want your weld have ANY CHANCE of looking good.

Phil

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tip. What the heck you doin' hangin' around Nashville in August??? Are you bringing your car?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From a post I dug up on here the butt weld seems to ge the nod over the lap weld. Is that right?

·
6,855 Posts
One of our suppliers annual customer meetings.

That would be a pretty good haul with no A/C. Worse, I'd have it in the hotel's parking lot overnight. I think I'll take the truck.

What type of weld you do depends on what you are doing.

Try these:

Plug weld. Drill a 3/8 hole through one piece of metal. Clamp it over another piece. Weld in the hole. Bust the pieces back apart with a chisel. The weld should rip a hole out of one piece or the other, not just break back apart at the seam.

Butt weld. the best way to repair panels and what not. Butt two pieces together with a slight crack in the middle. Tack one end. Then go down to the other end and start welding towards your tack (you might need a tack every few inches if it's a long piece) When you're done, flip it over and look at the bottom. You should be getting good penetration. This is much easier if the metal seam you are welding is supported underneath. This will prevent you from burning thorough in most cases.

Lap welds are great for patching in fender wells and what not. For instance to fix a 8" X 2" hole in my inner wheel well, I bought a new inner wheel well, cut out a piece big enough to cover the hole, and then lap welded it in. Lap weld means there's an overlap. Sure, a butt weld would have been better, but I can't see how you'd ever get a patch made that would fit the hole EXACTLY on all sides. So, you overlap a half inch or so, and lap weld the patch in.

Once you can weld those 3 types successfully on the bench, you should be ready to attack your car.

Phil

G

·
0 Posts
I seem to be better at butt welds than lap welds, but laps are supposed to be easier. Laps are also easier to fit, you don't have to be very precise.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, I'll work on those. When you get to town and have time, let me know and I'll come give you a ride in mine and we'll find a coffee shop.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My friend has been doing the lap welds and they were supposed to look better, but so far they haven't been. Part of the problem has been no gas. Hopefully this will fix that.

·
Registered
239 Posts
A good night class is a exellent way how to pick up some welding skills and one particular thing I learnt was to tune my welder to what I'm welding aswell, makes a big difference,
good luck

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Get something like this and practice, practice, practice...*G*

That's how I taught myself to weld...took one semester at CC for SMAW and taught myself the rest...no substitute for doing it all the time (experience)..

Good luck!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I actually bought that book at Lowe's a few months ago. I am going to jump in with both feet and see how I do. Never know...I might actually get good at this......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts