Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Mallory Comp 9000 distributor and there are 2 wiring diagrams to hook this up. The first says using points trigger and the second says using magnetic pick up. The distributor has a unilite module. I think I should be using the points trigger method. Can anyone explain the difference in the two?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by 1970coupe on 03/24/01 10:44 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I use the unilite system in my 72 Mach1 Do you have the ignition box to I don't the only wires I have are coming off the dist to the mallory coil box and the balist resester. I also have the mechanical advance

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an MSD 6AL box and mines mechanical advance as well.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I've figured it out. I'm 90% sure its points trigger even though its not points but rather a unilite module in my Comp 9000 distributor. I looked at the MSD and Hayfire boxes and they both wire up the same except the Hayfire calls for a ballast on the ignition switch wire? Seems like one fix leeds to another problem.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Sorry, I'm busy with domestic projects today but when I'm done I'll dig out my wiring diagrams and take a look....

Post back if you've solved the problem....

It's been so long since I've done the deed I can't remember the details for sure...*G*

Pat
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1570936&a=11937754&p=42910787.jpg

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I've got a Mallory Comp 9000 also. Do you have an ignition module? a hyfire or MSD?? If you don't here's a web address that shows how to hook it up with the balast resistor.

http://www.centuryperformance.com/mallory/images/mal_dia2.jpg

Hope this helps. If you have a different configuration, surf this site a little bit, it should have the wiring diagram for you.

Rob
Member: Slightly Modified
66 coupe 302
66 fastback 351W

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a MSD box. Some good articles in that web site! The part number of the distributor I have is 9156701A. I searched through all of the Mallory web site to find it. No luck! I still haven't figured out the difference between points trigger and magnetic pick up?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually, I've been looking through different tech articles and I have figured out for sure that mine is points trigger as all 91 series are.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts