Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this on the Cortex site, pretty sweet. It's supposed to be the hot ticket for getting around the track. Also the look you would get on the street would blow people away

·
Registered
3,262 Posts

·
Registered
10,645 Posts
I would just go independent rear suspension for that kinda dough...
Sounds good in theory But, every thing I've read about IRS alone as far as Mustangs doesn't = better lap times.More comfort perhaps

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Sounds good in theory But, every thing I've read about IRS alone as far as Mustangs doesn't = better lap times.More comfort perhaps

I see that first article quoted all the time, but I guarantee in the "real world" of bumpy streets, the IRS will perform better and be more composed. On the track performance is closer, but proves one thing, lots of effort can result in a very highly polished turd !
If solid axles were truly better, even on track, top level motorsports like Formula 1 and Indy cars would run them. In competitive racing, live axles are only used when they have to be, they just have too many design compromises.
I will read through that 2nd link when I have a chance.

Edit: I did read it, the actual article is pretty short. My take FWIW:
They do have a point about limited AS and traction with IRS, but the article has the the same flaw as most studies/surveys:
They are almost always designed to prove a Thesis, not to be 100% objective. Case in point; the company that wrote the article doesn't sell IRS systems, they do coincidentally sell solid axle products. See the problem there ?

·
Vendor
5,279 Posts

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Bruce Griggs really didn't think much of my going with an IRS instead of his solid axle solution when I ordered my front suspension. They actually will put some camber in the solid axle assemblies they sell and I have no doubt that on the track, they will equal or better anything out there. Race results speak for themselves and I have talked to people that use them that swear that even on wet pavement they dig in.
However, here in Kentucky, our roads are rarely race track smooth and IRS simply absorbs bumps easier and stays more composed.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
...and not all race tracks are smooth. re. Sebring!
I was looking for what I remember reading a "shootout" shortly after the GT350 came out, they compared it to the 2013 B2 which was as described the most advanced solid axle suspension made. A few different skill level drivers drove them both. The feeling was that in the hands of pro's the gap was negligibly small, HP and IRS be damned. That the IRS wouldn't be be THE factor in a real race they were so close. But that when it came to the lesser drivers the gap became larger to where pure amateurs would end up way ahead in the GT350. 100hp will do that:)

I still want one and thought i would easily afford a 2013 B2 by now but those dang things have held steady and even gone up unless they have crazy miles or damage:(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts