Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1965 Mustang Fastback restomod
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone on here have a non floater housing with a little neg camber added and / or slight toe in, if so how do you like it ? any issues bearing life or noise ? was it worth it ?
I just straightened my 9'' housing from fabricating it with a ton of brackets and back brace etc.. i got camber at zero, working on finishing toe alignment when i thought to myself now would be the time to add some negative camber and toe in. From everything ive read a non floater can safely go up to 1-1.5 deg camber before running into wear issues. Seems to be the normal is setting it at -.5 (half) deg neg camber and 1/8'' toe in, for street, autocross and track use. I would love to hear some feedback before and if i do this. Mainly worried about road noise and i hear the added drag eats up some horsepower too.

I will say there was a huge difference in how much effort it took to spin the axles from before straightening vs after straightening. it had 1 degree pos camber and 1/4 toe out before straightening. It took an entire evening to get it straight ( taking my time making sure it gets done right), and i wondering if its really worth another night of work to modify it.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Anyone on here have a non floater housing with a little neg camber added and / or slight toe in, if so how do you like it ? any issues bearing life or noise ? was it worth it ?
I just straightened my 9'' housing from fabricating it with a ton of brackets and back brace etc.. i got camber at zero, working on finishing toe alignment when i thought to myself now would be the time to add some negative camber and toe in. From everything ive read a non floater can safely go up to 1-1.5 deg camber before running into wear issues. Seems to be the normal is setting it at -.5 (half) deg neg camber and 1/8'' toe in, for street, autocross and track use. I would love to hear some feedback before and if i do this. Mainly worried about road noise and i hear the added drag eats up some horsepower too.

I will say there was a huge difference in how much effort it took to spin the axles from before straightening vs after straightening. it had 1 degree pos camber and 1/4 toe out before straightening. It took an entire evening to get it straight ( taking my time making sure it gets done right), and i wondering if its really worth another night of work to modify it.
I played around with that a few years ago and could not tell any real difference other than the rear tires wore faster on the insides. I think I had about 1.25 neg camber and a slight toe in.

·
Registered
1965 Mustang Fastback restomod
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I played around with that a few years ago and could not tell any real difference other than the rear tires wore faster on the insides. I think I had about 1.25 neg camber and a slight toe in.
Thank you exactly the type of response i was looking for ! 1.25 sounds to be a quite a bit of camber ! was there any bearing noise ?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Thank you exactly the type of response i was looking for ! 1.25 sounds to be a quite a bit of camber ! was there any bearing noise ?
No noise that I noticed. I really only ran it for 3 events, so 12-14, sessions. Bearings seemed fine. But again, I put that mod in the same bucket as indexing spark plugs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have maybe -.5 degree on the rear axle. Two race weekends and a test/tune day on this setup. I am not certain of any measurable improvement but it was one of many mods that I did at once. No problems so far.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts