·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Curious how well it performed. Looks cool as heck tho

Sent from the interwebs... where else?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
It was a virtual bolt on conversion to a 289 head. Because of that the performance was not significantly better. Certainly not enough to justify the cost , even in the day.I had an opportunity to buy that engine about 50 years ago and did allot of research on the power is made ( around 300 according to Ford Engineering) and passed on it because of that.
Randy

Reactions: HoustonGlock

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Makes me think the OHC would have worked best on a Boss302. Then you'd have the breathing that the engine needs, not limited by the small ports of the standard 289 head.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,844 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I remember a decade or two ago reading about the Coates rotary valve heads. At the time, they flowed more air than any conventional head on the market. Neat design.

·
Registered
10,168 Posts
Just so everybody knows, Hot Rod did a similar article back around 1965 with an OHC 289.

·
I won a special award
7,760 Posts
How about a Tunnel Port 302?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Makes me think the OHC would have worked best on a Boss302. Then you'd have the breathing that the engine needs, not limited by the small ports of the standard 289 head.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Not able to do an OHC on a canted valve head even with a rocker actuated version.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
How about a Tunnel Port 302?

View attachment 784224
Loser . I built a 331 with 13-1 and a solid roller using these heads with all titanium valves . Ran 11.70s at 118 mph. Switched to Vic Jr's , lost compression ( 11.5-1) and went 11oh's at 123 same short block/ car combination.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Another example of something that looks great on paper, but does't work in the real world.
J Bittle begs to differ.....
I will tell you that 7K worth of Crower crank, rods and Ross pistons fixes a lot of 302 Tunnel Port issues.

Reactions: G's 70

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Bring a shopping basket full of twenty dollar bills!
Those heads do actually work, unlike most of the oddities. However you could build a full big inch boss 429 cheaper I think.
I think CHI heads are probably the best HP per dollar aftermarket heads.

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
I remember a decade or two ago reading about the Coates rotary valve heads. At the time, they flowed more air than any conventional head on the market. Neat design.

Rolls Royce did this on an aircraft engine back in the 30's. There's one in the RAF museum in London

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
OHC is no guarantee of horsepower. Just added complexity in many cases.
The problem with the Coates design is sealing the balls to the combustion chamber. Apparently the have never solved this issue.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts