Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
I don't understand your question. A vintage Mustang does not have a cam position sensor. Are you asking about changing out the distributor drive gear?

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's right. The 2000 5.0 has no dist., just a cam position sensor. Obviously the gear can run on a roller cam but will it fit on the shaft of an old-school dist.?

·
Registered
603 Posts
No, I believe the shaft is a different diameter. You'll need to get a steel or melonized gear to fit your old distributor, or an aftermarket distributor with a steel gear installed, or if you want to go duraspark a distributor for an 85 mustang gt with manual trans.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
new2me is right, the distributor shaft is larger than the early distributor, so you need the right gear. as i recall the shaft is the same size used on the 351w, so measure the shaft to verify this. that will let you install the old school iron gear for your older cam. i presume you are wanting to put a distributorless ignition system and a sefi fuel injection system into your car. if so then check out this site

Price Motorsport

look up camshaft synchronizer. they have them for the 302, the 351w, and the 351c/m and 429/460.

·
Registered
20,061 Posts
Look on my GT40P thread. I used a $28 Melonized gear from MSD. I recently pulled the distributor, the gear looked perfect. I barely could see a mesh mark and it was dead center.

·
Registered
20,061 Posts
Since it looks like you're putting in a aftermarket roller cam, they're typically SADI. They're cast ductile iron where only the lobes are hardened. They can use a regular cast iron distributor gear.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Since it looks like you're putting in a aftermarket roller cam, they're typically SADI. They're cast ductile iron where only the lobes are hardened. They can use a regular cast iron distributor gear.
That's good info there. I was under the impression that any roller cam required a steel or melonized distributor gear. I learned something new today, so thanks for that.

·
Registered
20,061 Posts
That's good info there. I was under the impression that any roller cam required a steel or melonized distributor gear. I learned something new today, so thanks for that.
When I was doing my GT40P swap a little confused on this I did some investigating. I called a tech from Ford Motorsport, a tech at MSD and a tech at Howard's Cam. All three said the same when I asked specific questions at to types of cam material. Howard's will tell you they use SADI cores and that you can use either a regular cast iron or Melonized gear. Howard's told me there's something like 3 companies that make them and that all the cam companies buy from these three. As far as Comp Cams, their cams are SADI and to use a Melonized gear only. I've read on line topics where Comp Cams head engineer Bill Godbold said you could use a cast iron gear in one article and in another said you couldn't. I've read on other forum where one tech at Comp said you could run a cast iron gear and another said you couldn't on a SADI. Crane says you can run a cast iron gear on a SADI and they're owned by Comp Cams. I read one article where MSD said they use a Melonized gear as their default gear as it will work on a flat tappet cam, SADI, or Ford factory 5150 billet steel.

I think this is pretty reliable info but ultimately you should verify with your cam company.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts