Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me a breakdown of how to remove and install a camshaft? Never done it before nor have I ever seen one done. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Remove intake manifold, radiator, AC condensor (if equipped), water pump, harmonic balancer, front cover, timing gear and chain, valve covers.. Loosen the rocker arms, remove the pushrods, old lifters... Camshaft can be gently removed.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does the intake have to be taken off? I was hoping to avoid that since it has a fairly new gasket.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Invest in a book called "How to Rebuild Small Block Fords". It will help you with numerous engine projects.

My Crane Cam came with very extensive instructions, my Ford Racing Cam did not, so it will be hit or miss whether your cam came with instructions.

Keys to installation are:

1.) Use liberal amounts of Cam break in lube on the cam and lifters
2.) Use new lifters (This is not even an option. No matter the time on the old lifters)
3.) If you are installing a performance cam, make sure you get the proper valve springs.
4.) Adjust the rocker arms properly. I have had bad luck doing it any other way than with the engine running. Just tighten until they stop ticking then 1/2-3/4 turn more. (Tip: Take an old valve cover and cut a slot 1+ inches wide down the length so you can bolt it on and still get to the rocker arm nuts. This will make it a much cleaner job)
5.) Brake cam in for 20 minutes at 2000+ RPMs. Do not use steady RPM's, but vary them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts