Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m running a tecumseh ac compressor on the stock brackets on my 289 and the factory style fuel line on my 4100 carb. With a vacuum advance on my distributor I’m limited by the fuel line to get more distance in advancing the timing. I know the answer is to set the dizzy back a tooth and reset the plug wires on my cap to get more advance room, but I’m getting confused on whether I move the dizzy a tooth clockwise or ccw. I worked on this most of the morning yesterday but ended up putting the distributor and wires back in the same place. I could not get the distributor to drop in all the way any other way.

I want to try again but thought I’d ask for some guidance from anyone that’s tried this before. My motorcraft distributor cap has a number 1 on it at the number 1 wire terminal and I know when I’m done #1 will be one terminal either left or right of what’s marked on the cap but I’m willing to sacrifice this for more timing. Right now my vacuum advance is pushing against the metal fuel line. Anyone have some experience with this?

·
Registered
133 Posts
The reason the dizzy won’t drop in after moving one tooth is probably due to the oil pump shaft being out of alignment. Look down the hole to see if there is a slot in the top of the oil pump shaft. If so, take a long screw driver and turn the shaft until it lines up to where the distributor will drop in. The other way is to drop the dizzy in and bump the engine over with a remote starter switch until the dizzy drops down into position.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Your overthinking that. When you take the distributor out, mark where the rotor is, and move the assembly a tooth. When you get it back in it should drop and the rotor should point to the mark, the wires will still be correct but the advance will be in a different spot. Yes, the oil pump will need to line up, I use skidoodaves method and just bump the engine over till it drops in., however if you haven't done that before I'd recommend turning the oil shaft. Easier with a socket and extension that a screwdriver, but you need a thin socket and it needs to be taped to the extension or you will be fishing it out of there when it falls off........

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok maybe I am overthinking it. One more question. Do you drop the distributor in 1 tooth clockwise (back) or 1 tooth counter clockwise (forward)?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nevermind I did I think I got it. You drop it in whatever direction you need to get more room. Duh!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got it done. That was easy as pie! I was definitely over thinking the whole moving wires thing. Gregb was right on the money.

1/4 inch deep socket taped to a long extension did the trick on getting the distributor to drp

Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts