Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I have a 67 Mustang with four wheel drums and replacing the master cylinder but I can’t get this clover clip to compress enough to get it into the bore. I already did a little squeezing and hammering. Do I really need this clip?

·
Premium Member
4,352 Posts
Did that push rod come with the MC? I have learned there are at least 2 different types of ends and if that is your old rod with a new MC, it may not work.

Reactions: Daisy

·
Registered
1967 GT500
567 Posts
I believe the clip is to hold the rod in place so that it doesn't come out of the MC and your brake pedal doesn't drop to the floor.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it’s a new push rod with a new MC. I will try again tomorrow but it looks like I do have to put it in with the clip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35,856 Posts
Make sure there's a groove for the clip at the bottom of the bore. Power brake cylinders usually lack this groove, and if you have the wrong part, it'll be a problem.

·
Registered
1968 Mustang Hoopty Coupe
13 Posts
I just went through the same thing a few weeks ago. It was a total pain in the a$$ to get that clip in the MC, but it has to go in there. I put the MC in the vise and got one of the flats on the clip started into to MC, and then used a pair of needle nose pliers to work the other two flats in. I hate to admit it, but it took me almost an hours of messing with it to get it in there. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
35,908 Posts
Clip looks a little sprung. If you can't squeeze it with some bent nose needlenose pliers you could try a thin steel bushing, slit up the side to compress the clip (like a ring compressor does) to get it in, then slide the bushing up the shaft, pry open the slit and remove it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I did this a couple weeks ago. Patience, needle nose pliers and a small flat head screw driver.
Get the middle part ‘in’ first, then simply try to guide/pry the other two ends in. Pain in the ass. Took me 2 days to figure this one out.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
I found that the inner edge 'tooth' (both sides) that ride on the rod were too long and prevented the clip from compressing enough to get in the bore. Verified with a pair of vernier calipers. I filed the edge that sits on the rod (both sides) until the clip fit. Looks like someone in China changed some tooling without realizing the impact downstream.

Reactions: RV6

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all. I managed to get it in with needle nose pliers and a flat head screwdriver while pushing it down. I could hear the clip engage. Kind of glad to see I wasn’t the only one having problems with this, thanks again.

·
Registered
1968 Mustang Hoopty Coupe
13 Posts
I'm glad you got it. I know I spent some time questioning my mechanical abilities and I might even used a few four letter words. Something so simple is not supposed to be so difficult! LOL!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I've seen a pushrod clip make of white plastic. People have claimed it's possible to pull the pushrod off the piston if pulled hard enough. I couldn't get it out and used a hacksaw to get it out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm glad you got it. I know I spent some time questioning my mechanical abilities and I might even used a few four letter words. Something so simple is not supposed to be so difficult! LOL!
Yes! I thought it was just for packing purposes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts