Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I used the old hand drill trick to spin up some oil pressure in the I6 engine. I ran it to the point oil was coming up the pushrods and out the bleed in the roller rockers. The oil was flowing freely from 11 of the 12 rockers, with the offending rocker being one that I cannot adjust for the appropriate lash. There is way too much slack and the adjustment screw cannot take out all of the slack. I tried manually compressing the lifter, but unlike very other rocker/lifter combination I cannot get it to move. That leads me to believe that the lifter plunger is bottomed out. Interestingly, after spinning up the oil pressure 2 other lifters which were giving me similar symptoms "cured" themselves so that I was able to set the correct valve lash/preload (or whatever you want to call it on hydraulic lifters).

I was wondering if there was a way to force oil into the lifter to raise the plunger, or do I need to pull the head and replace the lifter. I left these new rockers in a bucket of oil for a week before installing. thought they would have filled up by that. I am thinking of cranking up the air compressor then using 110 psi blowing air down the pushrod (which has oil in it) to force that oil into the lifter through the oiling hole in the plunger. What do you think? I have not run the engine yet and have only turned it over maybe 10-15 rotations using a breaker bar.

Thanks in advance for the help. It's been sittin almost a month due to valve train hassles.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I don't think you will hurt anything by trying. You might also try squirting a little WD40 right on top of the lifter. Then take an old pushrod and try and force the lifter up and down a few times by hand. Sometimes new lifters will bind a little. You might get lucky.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Maybe I am really dumb here, but do you have to take off a head to replace a lifter? I thought it could be swapped just by taking off the intake?

edited, oh duh, it's an I-6 and the 200 ci Fords don't have that cutsey access plate for the lifters like I was thinking.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
You really need to start the motor to confirm you actually have a lifter problem. Although spinning the oil pump will pressurize some lifters you may not get all of them. Once the lifter is pushed up and down by the cam against the valve springs the lifter should come out of its stuck state. Then you should adjust your rockers with the engine hot...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts