Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a person on e(B)ay selling a mexican 302 block that says they can ship through UPS. They gave me an estimate of $72.00 for shipping.

How much does a block weigh? I didn't figure a block could be shipped through UPS!

http://www.shawneelink.net/~zosoiv71/mex.jpg

·
Registered
194 Posts
You can ship VERY heavy things through UPS. It is the girth they are concerned about. A block is small enough, and eaisly not the heaviest thing on the truck.
JH

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Are there any restrictions on this? I've just suddenly thought maybe i could get a FE block shipped to me, but it would depend on a lot of things.
Whizco, do you have a rough idea how far you would get that block shipped for that $72? Is it only by truck or could a block be sent by air - anyone know??!

Thanks,

Gary

G

·
0 Posts
I though you were limited to 70 lbs.

I think FEDEX ground is more liberal.

I could ship '88 bucket seats FEDEX ground, but not UPS. I think that was a length/girth issue though.

Either way, they both have web sites.

·
Registered
194 Posts
70 lbs. is the weight limit one driver can lift. Anything above that requires two drivers and gets expensive really quick.
JH

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
I was going to have a Mex 302 shipped from Las Vegas to Portland. Most of the quotes were in the $100-150 range. It became prohibitive for me. Luckily a fellow VMFer hooked me up with one 30 miles away.

Just for your info. A bare Mexican 302 block with the mains installed weighs approx 135 lbs.

Good luck with the project.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
UPS told me 150 lbs was the maximum they would handle via one of there trucks and drivers, and you had to be there to help him load it, I assume it is delivered to one of their terminals, and has to be picked up there. Heaviest item I shipped was a big spline CJ toploader, about 140 lbs.

·
Registered
930 Posts
IIRC UPS has a service called 100 weight or something like that. I did see a listing on UPS.com

·
Registered
625 Posts
I just got a package from Iowa to Indiana, weighing 120 lb by UPS for $55 shipping. The only problem was the square box looked more round when it got here. With a bare block, it should make it OK.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
I got a 9 inch housing and chunk - wt 135 ups 75.00.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts