Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an early 302 block. Does anyone know of what the difference in the blocks are to accept roller lifters? Stock for roller lifters are only 100.00 while retro rollers lifters are 500.00. I know that a true roller cam will have to be machined for the new cam roller bearings but I was wondering about the lifter bosses.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
i believe the lifter bores are taller... hense the need for the spyders and whatnot. (at least i think thats what your talking about)

G

·
0 Posts
when retrofitting, you use a cam made for this. It is ground slightly smaller in diameter, wheich allows the lifter to sit lower in there bores. So in a nutshell, use a complete roller cam retrifit systema nd it will work fine.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
It doesn't need any machining. All you need is the Crane roller conversion kit. The kit consists of 16 roller lifters, the little X shaped retainers that keep the lifters from turning, and the spider that holds the retainers down. You'll also need a set of shorter push rods. That's good, too. Shorter pushrods are less prone to bending. Go to www.cranecams.com Best thing you could do. Roller lifters can handle the modern cam ramp rates that will let even old style heads fill the cylinders with more air/fuel charge. Filling the cylinders before the valves close and compression starts is what its all about. Call Crane tech at 386-258-6174 and talk to a tech rep about what cam would be right for your intended use.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I've researched a lot about that. Basically the only way to "machine" a block would be to add the spyder/rail setup and use a special small base circle retrofit camshaft .. But since the lifters come out of the block so much, it is risky business to use ANY roller cam in a non roller block. Another way is the vertical tie bar lifters .. but still you have to use one of Crane's small base circle retrofit camshafts .. and from what I've gathered, you lose some strength/reliability once you start turning high RPM's in a cam that has a smaller base circle size when the lifters are sticking that far out. And isn't that what you're looking for in a roller camshaft engine? I was going to do it, but after weighing everything I just got a roller block and am going from there. It's up to you but if you want that engine to last and be reliable I would stay away from retrofitting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts