Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a complete restoration, I'm ready to send the 2+2 in for a wheel alignment. I just noticed that the wheel base on the driver's side is 1 1/2 inches longer than the other side. The passenger side looks centered in the wheel well but the driver's side is too close to the front of the wheel opening. The strut rods still need to be adjusted but the nuts are on the same amount of threads. Will the alignment mechanic be able to cure this? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
They will get it adjusted properly. I just finished doing the front end rebuild myself and got the wheels pretty close. Noticed the pass. side is jutting out just a bit, they'll adjust the tied rods to get it in proportion. I think what threw me off is the car is in the air when you do the tie rod adj. and when you let it down and drive it around a little, the wheels get set and then you can see they are off a bit. good luck.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
66 Mustang? There is no ajustment in the 66 struts for wheelbase (or caster). They are tightened down and thats it. The adjustment is done with shims on the upper control arms.
A alignment should be able to get you squared away..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts