Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the lincoln to get the 5.0 HO engine, in addition to the rest of the car there is an AOD transmission. It shifts real clean. I've been looking at the gear vendors tailshaft overdrive for the C-4 which can be built to a pretty bulletproof setup. I've not read much good about the AOD, in fact i've heard of them going out a lot just on street cars.

Can the AOD be built up? Are there good rebuilds available? Or is just a weak design.

The engine is going to be a 5.0 supercharged EFI engine built to spin in excess of 6,500 rpm and breath through AFR heads. 9" rear end but i will be running street 235's or 245's. I've considered a stick but fear if i have to get a job in atlanta driving in traffic in a stick.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Everything I've heard and read says the AOD is basically weak in comparison to what you can do with a C4, and obviosly the C6 is the monster of them all.

My 289 is not exactly stock, with it's Lunati cam (about the equivalent of the Edelbrock Performer RPM cam), 351w heads, 10:1 pistons, etc., etc.

I've put 7k miles on my AOD, and it has not been pampered. There's nothing I love more than a quick take off from a stop light, and my AOD often sees 6k RPMs and more.

Yes, they're not as stong as a '70/later C4, but probably every bit as strong as a '65-69 C4. Only mods I've done to my AOD is a B&M 2400 Holeshot converter and a B&M Transpak shift kit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts