Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help me!
Ever since I was a little girl (I'm 19 now) I've always been in love with vintage ford mustangs. I got my license 2 years ago and I've been dying to own a car! My parents have a 96' suburban that they constantly want me to consider buying from them. Don't get me wrong, I love trucks, I think women look fabulous in them but I want something "classy" for my self. And nothing says classy like a fully restored 1964-66 ford mustang convertible. Anyways, my dad told me that he'd help put a 10,000 dollar down payment on a car if he saw that I had the determination to save $ and get one. Let me tell you; working at BEST BUY for 8.56 an hr, for a max of 25 hrs a week, aint gonna cut it to save for a car. I'll be 30 by the time I can save for bill payments, maintenance $ and extra cash for myself since I don't depend on my parents for squat anymore.. .that's including clothes and food, not including a place to sleep and the electricity and water I suck up in need to survive. Well, not too long ago I picked up the pennysaver and a copy or trader, and lo and behold, VINTAGE MUSTANGS! Now if I can find a good mustang and put those 10,000 to work I'm set. Forget about new EXPENSIVE ugly model cars, I want a beautiful fully restored mustang that I can pamper, learn about, and take pride in once I get my crafty hands on.
. . . Here are my problems. . .
1. How do I know I'm getting a good deal?
11/2.What model typically has the least amount of problems and will be easier to maintain for a girl who knows just the basics of owning a car. . .(like oil changes...)
2. What should I be looking for in a fully restored mustang, beside no rust, no accident history, and matching vin #'s?
3.Around what price range is good for a 65 coupe/convertible and a 66 model as well?
4. what can I tell my dad about why i'm better off with a vintage mustang?
5.What else do I need to know that I should if I want to own this type of car?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First i think its great that youre intereested in classic mustangs! second i think one of the greatest misconceptions is that theyre expensive cars... You can probably find (depending on where you live) a high quality convertible for around 10000, and maybe even less. If you want something thats easy to maintain i would go for a 6 cylinder car. They have less power than the v8's but unless youre going to be racing it or something that shouldnt make a difference. The 6 cylinder engine is very easy to take care of and very reliable. Also what to look for: my guess for what youre going to do (cruise with friends etc) just make sure there's no rust. Rust in a mustang is the most expensive thing to repair. If your lucky enough to live in the south or near california you dont have to worry about rust. Another thing to tell your dad is that from my experience mustang insurance is usually less than other cars. Tell your dad that if anything ever goes wrong in your car, you can get almost ANY part very EASILY to fix the car. Youre dad should also know that mustangs are a great investment, and if theyre properly maintained can actually gain value over the years. Overall its such a better choice to go with a classic mustang (what everyone else here would say)

however if you opt to go for a vintage mustang it does have some drawbacks... a lot of stuff that we take for granted nowadys in cars like A/C, tilt steering wheel, 4 wheel disc brakes, 3 point seat belts (go over your shoulder), and even FM radios isnt in a lot of mustangs. Another thing is that a lot of people say that mustangs arent very safe and are dangerous drive because say the gas tank placement, steering column, seatbelts etc. But everything i just mentioned can be fixed without a lot of money.

Your best bet is to do a lot of research and getting info on mustangs so you know what to look for. Check out Ebay, people sell a lot of mustangs on there!

Good luck convincing your dad! hope i can give you some things to help you in your mission... keep us updated

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
tell him your in the mood to do something crazy, you've got it down to 3 choices

1. have a baby.

2. become a lesbian.

3. buy a classic mustang.

If you change your mind on the newer car i got a 98 sunfire convertible you can have for 10k.

Motor

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Hey! I own a 95 Suburban!!!! And a Mustang. You print this message out and give it to your daddy. I bought my Mustang first! Another option is but the Burb from Pop and sell it to procure your Mustang! Your parents should have no problem with this, if you don't live at home, have your own job and pay for everything yourself! If that is not the case, I guess you'll have to wait. Who pays the bills?

Good luck...

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571478&a=12409371&p=45488890&Sequence=0.jpg

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
Hi- Little girl we wish we all had.
First of all Mustangs go up in value, not down.
If you get one for a fair price it will be worth more
in a year instead of less.
They are cheaper to work on and buy parts for. Most
mechanics that work on Mustangs charge less than the
dealers do to work on new cars.
Insurance and registration is cheaper than new cars.
Did I say they go up in value?
People give you more room on the road if you are in
a classic Mustang. Although with a big truck you can
push them out of the way!
You may wish to keep the car for the rest of your life,
and put it in your will so your kids can keep it for the
rest of their life.
You and your dad can have a great time working on the
Mustang. It is very quality time you can spend together.
Taking your car to shows and meeting the great people
who also own Mustangs is the most fun you can have on
a sunny afternoon.
To find a good deal is not hard. Find a mechanic that knows
about Mustangs and have him look at any car you are thinking
about.
Take a friend with you to look at the car that knows something
about cars to help you.
No matter where you live, there are people who can tell you if the
car you are looking at is a good one or not. It may cost you a little
to have them look at it but it is worth the money.
I am helping a girl right now to find the Mustang of her dreams. We have
looked at several so far, and will keep looking till we find just the right one.
My wife and I are expecting a little girl in Aug. We have a Mustang in the
yard for her, if she wants it.
All of us here at VMF will help you all we can. Any questions you come up
with just ask and you will get plenty of help. It's possible that one or more
of us live near you and would be willing to go and look at a car with you.
I live in Calif. Count me in!
Good luck with your Dad.
After he sees yours, he may want one too!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
plus if u ever have problems u can come here and ask. these guys are smart and have a lot of experience.

Corpus Christi TX

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanx 4 the info. . . i'm printing these out just so you guys know

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i live in santa monica, california and the more help the better.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dang that is a lot 253 mustangs!!!!! dang!!!
with what motorhead said my parents wouldnt care they would be like whatever makes you happy!!! actually you are at least lucky that they will help you pay for it i had to save up on my own from working at mcdonald's and subway!!! subway is easier and funner though!!!

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
We live in the Monterey area. Looks like you are on the
right track with this. Keep up the good work. One tip.
If you go for a coup or a fastback first, it will cost less
the first time out. If your like most of us you will have
more than one Mustang, they are kind of like rabbits.
We have three right now, and three Falcons, four
Galaxies and so on. It is a sickness.
I hope I never get well!!!

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Get your parents to go with you to Knotts Berry Farm in Buena Park, on Sunday, the 22nd. There's an event being held there called "Fabulous Fords Forever". It's a huge car show that is covered by several magazines.

A number of the VMF regulars will have cars on display there. It's usually attended by a number of celebrity car collectors, too. From what I'm told, the cars there are enough to get anyone's enthusiasm up for a restored car.

Glenn Morgan: 66 GT V-Burgundy Fastback 351w+toploader+9 in. TracLoc. Started out as a rusted-out Chicago-area crusher. After sacrificing a solid 66 coupe for its sheetmetal sub-assemblies, I have one solid (and expensive) work in progress!

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
#1 - Resale. When you buy that new Neon (Geo, Fiesta,etc. etc.) for $10,000 and you drive it off the lot it's worth $8K. Next year it's worth 4K and so on and so forth. If you buy a vintage Mustang (one in great shape) for 10K next year it's worth 10K. The next maby 11K and so on.

#2 - Safety. OK, a vintage mustang is not THE safest car on the road, that's likely a Volvo wagon that sells for $31,000 or a '60's Caddy or Lincoln (can you say "Sucks gas"?). However a vintage Mustang IS a very safe car if you are comparing it to one of those tinny little cans they are selling as cars now (see above). A vintage mustang will out handle, stop, or accelerate any of the above. It will also take a crash much better then those death traps will, and because it will perform much better in an emergency situation you are much more likely to emerge unscathed in that situation. ("god, that was close", not "call 911").

#3 - Maintenance. Vintage mustangs are very easy to maintain compared to ANYTHING new. They are carberated and have a minimum of electronics to fail. Once you learn the basics they are easy to understand. What that translates to is this; if it quits sometime out on the highway, you have a great chance to be able to repair it and be on your way. If a new fuel injected/electronicly controlled/ABS wondercan quits what do you do? Think about that...... maby this should go under safety. ("18 year old girl missing, car found on side of road").

#4 - VMF. There are more people here then anywhere on the web to answer any and all questions about anything pertaining to vintage mustangs. Try that at Vintage Geo Forum.

#5 - Education. When you are a part of the elite group of vintage mustang owners you will learn about the history of an automobile. You will learn about problem solving. You will learn about Physics and logic, and hands on mechanics. You will also become a member of a great family of people that will help you in many other ways. It will enrich your life and become part of your identity.

#6 - Identity. ...and speaking of identity, when another silver Honda rolls into your HS parking lot (cruise spot, party etc.) and parks next to the 8 other ones nobody's even going to see it. If you roll in with a nice vintage Mustang EVERYBODY's going to notice.

Hal
Never drive faster then your guardian angel can fly.

**Wear your seat belt**

PS, that's my 'bird...... My Mustang is too ugly to take pictures of yet........*G*.

http://www.teleport.com/~cosa/bird2.jpg

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Ok, here goes the old fogey. Respect your dad. He has some brains. He's trying to make sure that his 19 year old daughter becomes a 30 year old daughter. Now. Be honest with him in a respectful way. Tell him your thoughts and show him that you have studied this thing out. My sons graduation and college car was a 67 coupe. He worked his bohincus off getting it up to high #3 or #2 condition. It was totally rust free and original. Anyway. Sweeten your folks with respect and obedience. If they don't give. Accept it and go on. Your relationship with them is worth more than any mustang. I love mustangs but not more than my family. (when your folks kick off you can buy a Shelby with your inheritance) Good luck. BTW. My daughter is graduating in June and her graduation/college car is a 68 coupe. A/C, A/T 289 car. When she gets out of college it will be worth more than it is now. (if some lady doesn't total it out like one did my sons 67)

Food for thought: Just think, If your weren't where you are you would be somewhere else.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There are a million Mustangs in CA. I live in Long Beach, and I see Mustangs everyday!! Have you ever looked at the Mustang and Ford Trader?? Anyways, welcome to the stang sickness!!

65 coupe 302
(rebuilding a 351W)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh ya, definately go to the Fabulous Fords Forever show on the 22nd of April, and maybe you can convince Dad!!

65 coupe 302
(rebuilding a 351W)

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Well I don't agree. If you are hard up for cash, you don't want to work on it and are looking for your daily driver you don't need one of these cars as your first car. On the other hand, with ten grand in hand you can find a nice, late model mustang convertible thats in good shape.

You can see my 65 fastback at: http://hottarod.stangnet.com/
http://members.aol.com/macstang/Gifs/macstang3.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just thought I would add in my .02 I am 17 and graduating from high school in 1 month and a 66 coupe was my first car and I still drive it. Although that will change when the restoration of my 70 fastback is done /forums/images/icons/wink.gif. They are great cars and with a little bit of work can be even better. Things like front wheel disc brakes are a huge help. The coupe has 4 wheel drum brakes and it doesnt stop very well. My brother's fastback had front wheel disc's on when we bought the car and began the resto and his stops just fine. Also, a piece of metal on the back of the seat will solve the problem of fuel leakin into passenger compartment when rear ended. These are some of the more common things as far as safety which I am sure your dad is concerned with. My parents were the same way for a little while, or actually my mom was but my dad helped me out /forums/images/icons/smile.gif. I wish you luck and hope your dream comes true. Like everyone else said, if you have any ?'s this is THE place for vintage mustangs. If the guys here can't give u an answer I don't know anyone who can.

~Chris
San Antonio, Tx
66 coupe 289
70 fastback done by may/graduation...hopefully

1 - 20 of 23 Posts