Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a spare 4100 that’s been sitting in my garage for several years and thought I’d spend some time getting it shaped up for use. It’s a 1.08 with C5ZF-C stamped on it. Jets are 47F primary and 58 secondary. Primary booster assembly is D T2 and secondary booster assembly is stamped with F. Is the C5ZF-C correct for an A code 65 mustang? Does anyone know if the jet sizes and Venturi booster assemblies are correct for this carb?

This carb is set up for manual transmission and thermal automatic choke. Just wondering what I have before I start the reassembly.
Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
From what I see looks like A code Manuel positive crankcase ventilation carb I think that would put it March 1965 and later jets primary 49 secondary 58 primary booster cf secondary booster a

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks. Sounds like primary jets and both booster assemblies are not original to this carburetor then. This carb also has hot idle compensator and tubes pointing down into both primary and secondary sides of the carb. Would that make it the correct top plate for the application?

·
Registered
8,699 Posts
I have a spare 4100 that’s been sitting in my garage for several years and thought I’d spend some time getting it shaped up for use. It’s a 1.08 with C5ZF-C stamped on it. Jets are 47F primary and 58 secondary. Primary booster assembly is D T2 and secondary booster assembly is stamped with F. Is the C5ZF-C correct for an A code 65 mustang? Does anyone know if the jet sizes and Venturi booster assemblies are correct for this carb?

This carb is set up for manual transmission and thermal automatic choke. Just wondering what I have before I start the reassembly.
Thanks in advance for any help.
C5ZF-C....... manual transmission application, 49F primary jets, 58F secondary jets, CF primary booster, A secondary booster.
Carb top should not have a hot idle compensator and should only have the vacuum sensing tube on the primary side.
Boosters you currently have are PROBABLY off a 390. Neither ID codes as a small block.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well that’s nice. Sheesh. I have a mish mash of parts in this thing. Oh well I’ll see if I can get it to run. Thanks guys for the information.

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Mass rebuilders strike again. That thing has parts from more different carbs than a calico cat has colors. It will probably work though. Testament to the bullet proof design of the 4100/2100. Get the Ford kit. The gaskets fit perfect.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to follow up and close this issue out, I took the 4100 apart and cleaned it out and all it’s passages and parts, put a carb rebuild kit in it. Also pulled throttle shafts to clean them up and set both primary and secondary butterflies so they completely close and open freely. I had to test it on an engine to satisfy my curiosity. So took my original 4100 off and put this one on. Yexelot was right, carb works great in spite of the mish mash of parts that were in it. Started right up and no leaks.

Once up to operating temp, made adjustments to idle speed and air mixture, and the engine idled and ran well. Looks like I was able to save this one.

Pulled the carb off and put my old one back on. Took the top plate off the freshly rebuilt 4100 to drain the gas out and pulled power valve, accelerator pump and secondary diaphragm out so no gas would dry up inside making the rubber parts hard and stiff. Once it dried out, I put it back together to store in the house until I figure out what to do with it.

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Congrats! If it was a giant problem, the mass-rebuilders wouldn't have been able to do the crap they get away with even now. I took a Holley rebuilt 2100 apart and found the booster was from a truck (manual choke with the V cut) and the jets were completely mismatched with a 48 and 53. You could still tune it, just the idle screws were about 1/2-3/4 a turn apart and go up a hole for the fuel shot. Was it a PITA to tune? Yes, but it did tune. It's a very forgiving platform. I still look for cores and pick up a couple from the flea markets each year. If I see a rebuilder sticker, or obvious signs of being messed with I pass. Unless it is a 4100. ;) I have enough random 2100 carb parts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts