1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
89 Posts
Looks like some water got into it,go to Toploader Heaven website.He has a check list for buying used trannies.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Is the pink / red stuff rust or lubricant?

Here is a pick of mine, I hope no one sees anything I paid a loit for it. :)

http://home.comcast.net/~gtscode/gtscode/photogallery/toploader.jpg

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was dry inside as far as water goes, but it came out of a 67K mile car that had been sitting for 20+ years. There is rust, but it is on the top of the housing from the toploader plate itself.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Yes,.

I see wear on 1st, 2nd, and 4th gear syncronizer teeth (sometimes referred to as lead-in teeth).....can't see 3rd gear because it's in 3rd gear. Look at the small lead-in teeth on each gear. See how the bevel is round off on many? That's the problem, most focus on the blocker rings (easy to see and replace) but it's the lead-in teeth that cause tough shifting.

Blocker rings look good (indicating a recent rebuild) but at a minimum 1, 2 and 4th gear should be replaced. It's a good bet 3rd gear will need it too.

The transmission should shift.... just not quickly... :biggrin:

·
Registered
9,888 Posts
Yes,.

I see wear on 1st, 2nd, and 4th gear syncronizer teeth (sometimes referred to as lead-in teeth).....can't see 3rd gear because it's in 3rd gear. Look at the small lead-in teeth on each gear. See how the bevel is round off on many? That's the problem, most focus on the blocker rings (easy to see and replace) but it's the lead-in teeth that cause tough shifting.

Blocker rings look good (indicating a recent rebuild) but at a minimum 1, 2 and 4th gear should be replaced. It's a good bet 3rd gear will need it too.

The transmission should shift.... just not quickly... :biggrin:
Beat me to it....

Replacing gears is pretty common due to age and abuse, the prices are reasonable.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts