Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These front discs were on a 67 V8, and I'm using them as the basis for my Brembo caliper conversion. They are too worn to use, so need to source a new pair, but I can't find any as thick (I'm in the UK). They currently measure about 23.5mm thick, but I reckon they were originally 24 or 25, as the material looks pretty thin in places. Can anyone identify them? I like the fact that they are thicker than the standard ones.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,276 Posts
LOL, without pictures of the calipers/spindles no one is going to be able to id the rotors.... DAMN those are very thin....

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are standard 67 spindles, with the old cast iron 4-pot calipers. The discs are standard dia, but seem to be thicker than the new ones I've been able to find.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
That rotor looks like a 68-73. Reason, no vent holes.
All 4 piston Disc brake rotors 64-67 had vent hole in the hat.
Then, how did someone put those rotors on a 67? If they were on there it is screwed up.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,276 Posts
Chocko is the man!

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
It looks like an early 70’s Ford full size car (Galaxy, LTD, T-bird, etc) front rotor that was turned down to make it thin enough to slip into the stock caliper. What is the rotor diameter? Those bigger rotors are about 1/2” larger in diameter than stock Mustang rotors, and I’d be surprised if it fit with the stock 67 calipers.

The rotor OD will help us identify what those came from.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Picture of the calipers. Measure the piston in the caliper. As dave stated it might be Big car 4 piston (galaxie-T-bird).
If that is a Big car rotor it will not fit the Mustang 4 piston setup. No way to get the caliper down to the bolt holes--To tall a rotor.
Again, get the numbers off back of spindle--Then, NO DOUBT what you have.

·
Registered
35,852 Posts
It looks like an early 70’s Ford full size car (Galaxy, LTD, T-bird, etc) front rotor that was turned down to make it thin enough to slip into the stock caliper. What is the rotor diameter? Those bigger rotors are about 1/2” larger in diameter than stock Mustang rotors, and I’d be surprised if it fit with the stock 67 calipers.

The rotor OD will help us identify what those came from.
That would require a lot of machining as the "big Ford" rotor is about 1.185" new (30.1mm), and 11.7" in diameter, but I suppose it's possible... sure does LOOK like one.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They are standard dia, 11 3/16". I agree they look as though they may have been shimmed down.

20191224_152013.jpg

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
number on the back of the spindle is C60A 3108F

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Without doubt someone machined, trimmed the 68 69 rotors to fit the 67 4 piston setup. All the were 11 19/64"
WHY????
So you will need the 67 Disc Brake rotors to fix this mismatched system. A Raybestos number is 6004.
Next, the spindle to the left IS NOT a C6OA. It could be a C3OA-C4ZA-C5DA.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ignore the spindle to the left. That's not part of it.
These rotors have not been reduced in diameter. You can see in the first pic how the casting is.
What I need, at the end of the day, is a rotor for these 67 spindles, standard dia or bigger, that is thicker than the standard ones. These are ideal, or they would be if they were in good condition.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I want to fit the Brembo calipers I have. I thought these rotors were stock, when I bought the assemblies off a 67. It was only when I looked at the thickness of stock replacement rotors I realised these are thicker. I'd quite like to keep this thickness if possible, as the new calipers are designed to take a 28mm rotor, so these would have fitted nice. The must exist for something.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As you can see, the adapter to fit these is so simple, I've got to do it!

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
I don't see the advantage of using the Brembo's (other than being new) over the original 4 piston calipers. As you are seeing mismatched parts are a bear to get everything working correctly. My thought is to keep the entire system stock.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I think the answer is with Bembo. What were this calipers and brackets made for? If for 67 buy their rotors. If not for 67 then you have a problem of trying to cobble up a brake system. NOT GOOD.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts